Description: Convent of Our Lady of Mercy
Date Listed: 25 April 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 217308
OS Grid Reference: SP0586488903
OS Grid Coordinates: 405864, 288903
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4980, -1.9150
Convent of Our Lady of
(formerly listed as
St Mary Convent under
SP 0588 NE 21/2 25.4.52
1840-41 architect Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Highly original and carefully detailed conventual building 2 storey red brick, stone dressed, ranges on a simple and functional E plan with rear wing and cloister. Straight-froward construction in a simple Tudor-Gothic style. Some diapering to the brickwork. Stone coped gable ends with finials. Steep pitched slate roofs, gabled dormers. External and ridge chimney stacks. Fenestration consists of simple stone mullioned casement and bay windows. The cloister to the rear has simple exposed timber truss roof and tiled floors. The original chapel was destroyed in the war. The convent is contemporary with a group of Pugin's innovatory rationally designed religious houses.
Listing NGR: SP0586488903
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.