Cathedral Church of St Chad, Birmingham
Description: Cathedral Church of St Chad
Date Listed: 25 April 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 217553
OS Grid Reference: SP0696687522
OS Grid Coordinates: 406966, 287522
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4856, -1.8988
Location: 8 Shadwell Street, Birmingham B4 6EU
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
In the entry for:-
SP 0687 NE
(City Centre B4)
25/12 Cathedral Church of St
Chad (formerly listed as
the Metropolitan Cathedral
Church of St Chad under
- 25.4.52 II
The grade shall be amended to read: -
ST CHAD'S QUEENSWAY
5104 City Centre (B4)
Cathedral Church of
St Chad (formerly listed
as the Metropolitan
Cathderal Church of
St Chad under Bath Street)
SP 0687 NE 25/12 25.4.52
Roman Catholic. 1839-41, by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin but very much mutilated both in itself and in its setting. Red brick; slate roof. In a C14 German style with a short chancel with flanking small north Lady Chapel and south vestries, an aisled nave apparently with shallow transepts, a north baptistery with stairs down to the crypt below and a north-west chapel of 1933 and 2 thin west towers with needle spires. Arcade of 5 bays with immensely tallslender clustered shafts; a sixth, taller and broader bay marks the 'crossing', Modern west gallery with organ.
Their steeply pitched timber roof embracing nave and aisles and suggesting a
crossing by means of lateral hips. Tall 2-light windows to chancel and nave.
The furnishings now mostly gone. The concave-sided hexagonal pulpit with
statuettes of Doctors of the Church is a piece made by Pugin from one of circa 1520 obtained probably from St Gertrude's Abbey, Louvain. The Archbishop's Throne and the stalls incorporate late C15 carved woodwork from St Mary in Capitol, Cologne. Still surviving some of Pugin's stained glass made circa 1845 by W Warrington and there is other glass by Hardman and Co of circa 1865. Also by Hardman and Co, brass to the Rev John More +1856; he stands but has a pillow behind his head. In the crypt only the arch of the easternmost chapel now has any of Pugin's painted patterning. In the crypt, too, monument to Bishop William Ullathorne OSB+1889. He lies in episcopal vestments with, on the wall behind him, a large painted tablet showing him being presented to the Virgin and Child by St Bernard and an angel.
Listing NGR: SP0696687522
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.