If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 16 July 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 220248
OS Grid Reference: TM0488695393
OS Grid Coordinates: 604886, 295393
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5179, 1.0183
Explore more of the area around Attleborough, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
TM 04 95 ATTLEBOROUGH CHURCH STREET
11/1 Church of St Mary
(formerly listed as Church of
16.7.58 the Assumption)
Parish Church. Norman cruciform church, the chancel demolished 1541. Central
tower Cll in lower stages, early C13 upper. South transept c.1290's, north
transept mid C14, nave and aisles probably mid C14, north porch late C14,
but completed in C15. EXTERIOR : Flint with ashlar dressings. Arched west
door with hollow, roll and keel mouldings below string course. 5-light'window
above in two identical intersecting 3-light forms of petal tracery. Moulded
jambs and voussoirs. 2 stepped buttresses and angle buttresses define aisles
which have one 2-light ogeed window with 2 reticulations within larger unit.
South aisle has plinth with knapped flint panels. Buttresses divide aisle
into 5 bays each containing one 3-light petal tracery window above string
course. Second window bay blocked to give access to single storey 1950 flint
vestry. Aisle and clerestory parapeted with string course. Further string
course at springing of window heads rises to form hoods. 4 windows to
clerestory each 3-light with super mullions below hood moulds. South transept
south window 3-light mouchette. Diagonal buttresses and shouldered parapet.
To east roof line of south chancel aisle remains. This wall much rebuilt
with C16 4-light Perpendicular window. Large diagonal buttress to south-east
of tower C16. Blocked semi-circular roll moulded arch to tower with C19 3-
light petal window. Remains of crossing piers with imposts and C11 water-
leaf capitals north and south. 3 C19 round-headed lights above. Double string
course separates C13 belfry from earlier courses. 2-light plate tracery belfry
windows with punched quatrefoil in head. Crenellated parapet. North aisle
east : flint plinth on base course with knapped panels. String course below
3-light petal window, renewed. Hood becomes string course. Parapet rebuilt
in brick. Diagonal north buttresses. High flint base course continues through
transept and north nave aisle as south aisle. 3-light petal window in transept
with continuous hood and shouldered parapet as south transept. North aisle
with 3 3-light petal windows and details as south. In second bay a 2 storeyed
porch of knapped flint : diagonal buttresses with 2 crenellated set-offs and
2 string courses. Entrance arch of 2 orders double wave mouldings separated
by fleuron frieze. Capitals with head carving and hood above on head stops
in squared panel. Flushwork panels above alternate with angels and heraldic
shields. 2-light panel tracery window lights parvise. One ogee statuary
niche to left, right and above. Plain gabled parapet. External stair to
west with brick quoins and external door. Inner north door with mid C14
mouldings. Porch has tierceron star vault with bosses. INTERIOR : 5 bay
arcade of elongated (north-south) lozenge piers with rolls and fillets on
high polygonal bases. Moulded. capitals below arches of 2 sunk waves. Wall
arches to aisles on engaged columns with bases and capitals. Clerestory
windows in spandrels of arcade arches. Nave roof late C15 : wall plate with
diamond studs; wall posts drop to carved corbels and support tie beams on
arched braces with traceried spandrels. Ridge piece, purlins and common rafters
all moulded. Similar, but simpler, aisle roofs. C11 crossing piers and arches
intact, those to east incorporated in C16 wall : Semi-circular arches on
shafted piers with simple waterleaf capitals below stylised scallop. Rood
screen, c.1475, of 10 bays each side of central opening extending across nave
and aisles. Arched aisle openings. Dado panelled with blind ogee lights.
Main lower arches and sub-cusped below coving to west. Moulded and painted
muntins. Coving has tierceron net vault behind arched drop pendants. Part
of similar coving survives to east. Plain cornice in form of parapet below
rood beam painted with shields of English dioceses in 1610. Much C15 painting
survives, figural and decorative. Early C18 pulpit comprising hexagonal drum
with raised and fielded panels to each facet, all with foliate borders.
One or two putti heads carved below moulded top rail are also in foliate
surround. Contemporary moulded stem and plinth. Stairs with iron twist
balusters, moulded hand rail and carved tread ends. Eagle lectern and steps
1816 of cast iron. Steps have handrails resting on snakes and terminating
in palm leaves. Mural painting over chancel arch in oil of c.1500.
Annunciation above string course, horizontal bar of Cross with foliate ends
surrounded by figures of Moses, David, Jeremiah, angels and others. Composition
interrupted by 2 Norman windows opening into tower. Each has engaged columns
below round arches with chevron and dog tooth moulding. Fragment of painting
of St. Christopher over south door also c.1500. Oak door to stairs leading
to Parvise early C15 : depressed segmental arch with tracery carving and many
orders of mouldings. 2 C15 misericord in south aisle stalls. Some C14 stained
glass in west window.
Listing NGR: TM0488695393
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.