If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 16 July 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 220546
OS Grid Reference: TL9899486682
OS Grid Coordinates: 598994, 286682
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4419, 0.9264
Explore more of the area around Harling, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
TL 9986 HARLING CHURCH ROAD
10/31 Church of St. Peter
and St. Paul
Parish church. c.1300 with sporadic building programmes to c.l450, restored
1878-9. Flint with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. West tower, nave, aisles
and chancel. Tower c.1300 of 3 stages with angle buttresses. Statue niches
to western buttresses under trefoil head and crocketted gable. Stair turret
to south-east. 2-light arched belfry windows below pierced crenellated parapet
of c.1450. Lead spire, also mid C15 supported on 8 flying buttresses each
with crocketted finials forming corona. South aisle windows replaced mid
C15 by Perpendicular fenestration under 4 centred arches, 2 early C14 fragments
surviving : 4-light east and west. and 2 3-light in flank. Flat buttresses
and mid C15 south porch with diagonal buttresses and tiers of flushwork blind
tracery panels to south and east. Arched door below trefoiled statuary niche
and gabled roof behind parapet. 2-light side windows. Arched inner door
with wave mouldings and fleuron-leaf trail in arch. Clerestory mid C15 of
9 3-light windows under depressed arches with continuous hood mould. Chancel
structurally early C14 now with mid C15 windows except C14 2-light west window
of a single retriculation unit. Arched Priest's door and 3-light Perpendicular
south window under depressed arch. Diagonal eastern buttresses and 5-light
east window of 1450-80 with super mullions and 2 crenellated transoms. One
3-light 4-centred window over chancel arch to nave of similar date. North
chapel added 1460's necessitating relocation north-east buttress : depressed
3-light window to east with blocked parvis lights above and on north face.
Priest's door square headed. Flat buttresses to north aisle and 4 3-light
Perpendicular windows, one raised above north door. INTERIOR. 5 bay arcade
of quatrefoil piers with rolls between lobes to north, keels to south, on round
moulded bases and polygonal plinths. Polygonal capitals and double sunk
quadrant arches. Clerestory windows with rere arches and engaged columns
on polygonal bases below capitals. Complex moulded tower arch with octagonal
responds, chancel arch late C14 as arcades. Hammerbeam roof of 10 trusses
dropping on arched braces to wall posts on corbels carved in form of angels.
Main and brace spandrels have pierced tracery. 2 tiers butt purlins and ridge
piece. Crenellated tie beam over rood. Window over chancel arch shafted.
Aisle roofs with wall and arched braces, the latter with pierced tracery
spandrels, 3 moulded butt purlins and principals as nave. These roofs mid
C15. Tower gallery of early C17 with turned balusters and moulded handrail
above heavy C15 bressummer. Octagonal C14 font with tracery panels on stem
and quatrefoils on bowl. 2 fragments of rood screen of c.1500 at west end
of nave each of 3½ bays, painted and with tracery panels. South nave chapel
screen to aisle C15. Central ogeed opening and irregular 3-light bays right
and left all with Perpendicular tracery net in heads. Painted dado with ogeed
blind tracery. Tierceron coving to east and west with moulded top rail and
cusped decoration above. C14 parclose screen divides chapel from nave in
3 square bays each with 3 lights divided by circular muntins below early
Perpendicular lozenge tracery heads and crenellated top rail. Fragment of
fourth screen now incorporated into front of bench in chapel of cusped ogee
lights and further decoration. Chancel roof scissor braced 1878. East window
glass is complete of 1480 : 20 panels below head depict Annunciation to
Pentecost cycle and figures of Sir William Chamberlayne (died 1462) and
Sir Robert Lingfield (died 1480), who donated the glass. Monuments in south-
east nave chapel. To east Sir Robert Harling (died 1435) : quatrefoiled tomb
chest with surround in form of ogeed canopy cusped and sub-cusped with leaf
decoration and symbolic figures. 2 alabaster effigies within not in situ.
To west is tombe of Sir Thomas Lovell (died 1604) and wife: Alabaster and
marble with 2 effigies on heraldic tomb chest behind screen of 3 modified
Tuscan columns supporting entablature and achievement. Obelisks at corners.
Rear wall bears inscriptions between strapwork pilasters. Monuments in
chancel. Between chancel and north chapel to Sir William Chamberlayne (died
1462): Panelled tomb chest with 4-centred canopy with vaulted ceiling and
panelled sides, the sides with niches for figures. Wide diagonal buttresses
also panelled and with niches flank 5 ogeed overlights, the ogees with
crocketted finials rising to crenellated top rail. Achievement over. To east
is tombe of Sir Francis Lovell (died 1551) : Panelled tomb chest with divisions
of fluted pilasters. Flat canopy against wall framed by Doric columns on plinths
carrying entablature with circular pediment bearing inscription plates. On south
wall opposite is identical tombe of Sir Thomas Lovell (died 1567). 6 C15 stalls
with misercords and figured arm rests. Many poppy head benches of similar date.
Trefoiled Holy water stoop by north door of nave carried on faceted stem.
Fragment of wall painting in north nave wall. Good painted restoration Royal Arms
of Charles II dated 1660. South door lobby contains C17 carved panels below remains
of one early C14 south aisle window.
Listing NGR: TL9899486682
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.