Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 30 May 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 220711
OS Grid Reference: TG0361818323
OS Grid Coordinates: 603618, 318323
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7242, 1.0138
TG 10 NW BYLAUGH
3/5 Church of St.Mary
Parish church. Tower and nave C14. Chancel, transepts and fittings of 1809-
10 according to inscription above tower arch. Round western tower, aisleless
nave, transepts and chancel. Tower with west lancet window and 2 first floor
loops with brick reveals and triangular stone heads. Octagonal bell stage
with alternating open and blind 2-light cusped Y tracery. Blind panels filled
with knapped flint. Crenellated parapet. Buttressed nave with 2
Perpendicular 2-light windows and C14 north and south doorways with dying
mouldings. Transepts and chancel with 3-light Y-traceried gable-end windows.
Gault brick dressings and rendered polygonal angle buttresses rising above
eaves level to form octagonal turrets. Roofs with projecting eaves on plain
twin brackets. Interior almost entirely of 1809-10 with oak box pews forming
an octagon beneath crossing. 3 decker pulpit with one side serving as a
vestry. Pair of cast iron fireplaces to transept gable-ends. Cast iron
communion rail in Gothic style. Late medieval octagonal font with shield
panels. Plaster segmental barrel vaults forming a groin vaulted crossing.
C18 and C19 monuments in chancel.
Listing NGR: TG0361818323
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.