If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of Ss Peter and Paul
Date Listed: 8 July 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 221353
OS Grid Reference: TF6210711195
OS Grid Coordinates: 562107, 311195
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6742, 0.3962
Explore more of the area around Watlington, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
In the entry for
4/21 LYNN ROAD
Church of SS Peter and
The address shall be amended to read:
Church of S S Peter
TF 61 SW WATLINGTON LYNN ROAD
4/21 Church of S.S. Peter
8.7.59 and Paul
Parish church. Late C13, C14, restored 1900-02. Carstone, some brick,
and ashlar quoins. Leaded nave and aisles, black glazed pantiles to chancel.
3 stage west tower clasped by aisles and supported by 2 stepped buttresses
to west rising a half stage. 2-light Perpendicular west window. Second
stage with one 2-light window to west, the lights separated by late C13
polygonal shaft. Lancet to north. C15 hexagonal brick stair turret to
south rising into second stage : of brick with arcade of 2 arches each face
at top. Lower half interrupted by extension of aisle west in C16, but
continuous within. Restored 2-light Y belfry windows and crenellated brick
parapet with corner finials of 1902. Aisle west windows 2-light Y tracery.
South porch has high C13 arch and undercut inner doorway mouldings on one
order of colonnettes of similar date. 3 2-light restored Y tracery aisle
windows to south. Clerestory of 4 2-light square-headed windows with triangular
arches. East window of aisle as before but 3-lights. 3 south windows to
chancel and 2 buttresses, 2 windows and one buttress to north : all of 2
cusped ogee lights supporting 4 petal vesica below hood mould on head stops
of mid C14 date. Arched priest's door to south. Blocked door to north
and 3 aumbry recesses of mixed sizes and one arched statuary niche. Angle
buttress to south-east chancel, flat to north east. 5-light flowing east
window in form of 2 super arches and central splayed vesica, the tracery
of mouchette variations. North aisle east window as chancel side windows.
3-light window to east bay north under square head echoed on smaller scale
at west end, between which are 2 2-light restored Y tracery windows and
blocked north door. Interior. 4 bay octagonal arcade piers with moulded
polygonal capitals and bases supporting double hollow arches with hoods.
Clerestory windows over apices. Demi-octagonal tower arch responds with
hollow chamfered arch below hood mould. Aisle west bays clasping tower
blocked by masonry (to north) and stud wall (to south). Within south-west
bay stair turret has double chamfered arched door below hollow rubbed brick
hood. Chancel arch as arcades. Nave roof : arched braces on wall posts
support moulded principals and arched collars. One tier moulded butt purlins
and triangular ridge piece. Restored aisle roofs. South-east nave chapel
with double piscina of 2 round trefoiled arches on octagonal column within
square surround. Squint to high altar. Wave moulded blocked north chancel
door and wall recess to east. Chancel sedilia and piscina in range of 4
cusped ogee arches on round columns. East window shafted. Chancel dado
panelled 1902. 5 bay chancel screen with wider central opening. Each bay
of 2-lights separated by circular muntins, the bays by stiles with engaged
shafts. Ogee arches with Y tracery containing mouchettes and reticulation net
under top rail. All but heads and some stiles are restored. Wall monument
to John Cake in chancel 1628 : marble surround with Ionic unfluted engaged
columns supporting curved entablature below urn carved with coat of arms.
Painted kneeling effigy before reading desk. Wall monument in nave chapel to
Thomas Cawsel and wife 1600 : inscribed base supported on console brackets and
coat of arms. Central inscribed panel with 2 headless kneeling figures within
fluted and reeded pilasters. Moulded cornice below achievement. Hexagonal
early C17 pulpit with arcaded panels, the arches with chain motif and carved
spandrels. Complete set late C15 benches with pierced backs, poppyheads and
animal or figurative arm rests. Early C16 octagonal font with lead bowl liner
: 8 carved upright figures against stem separated by rolls which develop into
tierceron vaults under bowl. Each side of bowl divided into 2 arched panels,
concave at base, each containing figures on pedestals. Font cover c.1620 :
8 annullated columns support carved arcade below hollow dentil cornice and
conical top. Finial in form of pelican on ball. Between arcade arches are
alternating shields bearing inscription 1..6..B..L.
Listing NGR: TF6210711195
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.