British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Snettisham Old Hall, Snettisham

Description: Snettisham Old Hall

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 5 June 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 221425

OS Grid Reference: TF6850834346
OS Grid Coordinates: 568508, 334346
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8802, 0.5027

Location: 2 B1440, Snettisham, Norfolk PE31 7LR

Locality: Snettisham
Local Authority: King's Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council
County: Norfolk
Country: England
Postcode: PE31 7LR

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Snettisham, Norfolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


10/39 Snettisham Old Hall.

5/6/53 II*

Hall. Incorporating manor house of later C16 or earlier C17 remodelled in
C18 and early C19 by the Styleman family, later of Hunstanton Hall. Originally
an H-plan house with solar at east, hall in centre, services at west, with
central entrance gable and 2 returned gables. Rubble carstone with brick
dressings on south front with later galleted carstone work; coursed, squared
and dressed carstone of Cl8 on north front, some brick at north-east corner,
west service wing of 2 different carstone builds. Black glazed pantiled roofs,
slate at south-east, C20 pantiles to west service wing. Earliest work perhaps
by Sir Wymond Cary (obit 1612): plaster work reported but not seen had cypher
of Henry, Prince of Wales (obit 1612); or . his heir who bought the manor from
James I in 1614 but sold it promptly; from 1710 to 1835 occupied by the Style-
man family. Exterior: south front largely C18 details, but earlier forms
of H-plan house survive: 2 outer 2 bay gabled return wings, 5 bay centre
with central projecting wings have 2 ground and 2 first floor windows under
flat rubbed brick arches. Dutch gables with single segmental rubbed brick
arch head, all C18 sashes with glazing bars. Central storey former entrance
porch has ground floor glazed French doors under flat rubbed brick arch, first
floor glazing barred sash with arched switch tracery Gothick head under fine
segmental rubbed brick arch. Wooden open pediment cornice 2 flanking bays
to west have 2 ground and 2 first and to east one ground and 2 first floor
C18 sashes with glazing bars under flat rubbed brick arches. All sashes
clearly inserted in earlier openings, walls and brick quoins earlier still;
raised parapet to centre and lead down pipes with "NAS 1737" for Nicholas
and Armine Styleman suggest date for refenestration and addition of Dutch
gables. 3 attic flat roofed sashed dormers. At south-east corner early C19
wooden lead roofed porch with Doric pilasters and pedimented gable, 2 glazed
French doors. East return of east wing has early C19 additional 2 storey
carstone and brick dressed semi-circular bow with 3 ground level silled sashes,
3 first floor sashes with glazing bars. At east an additional brick bay with
one ground and one first floor sash. This work perhaps contemporary with
infilling of north side of "H" plan to form at north 2 gabled wings of 2
bays each, in centre a 5 bay ranges, carstone. Centre has 2 outer arched
and fanlight headed sashes with glazing bars to light staircases, 3 sashes
in between, ground floor additional flat roofed single storey wing with early
C19 wooden porch with fanlight headed door and swept leaded roof. Stacks
to this north side of main roof pitch only : 2 to ridge of both wings, 2 to
centre. At west a long service wing of at least 2 builds. To south entrance
front,return has 4 ground and 4 first floor sashes of C18 remodelling, first
floor datestone 1632 at south partly cut away brick stitching of C17 window.
At north, at junction with "H" plan a brick dressed former door with arched
head, probably early C17. To south and returned to west continued as carstone
wall screening C20 additions. To service court to west a central straight
joint divides earlier south end from C18 north. Interior: a later C16 stone
fireplace re-erected on ground floor 1980, but otherwise surviving evidence
of interest confined to south-east wing or solar end of original "H" plan,
a remodelling associated with Henry Styleman (1755-1819) and perhaps
immediately prior to his death, but earlier C18 or later C19 dates also
possible. South-east bowed room with rich Greek Revival cornice suggests
later date. Entrance porch, hall and north staircase with cast iron balusters
and tented plaster ceiling and cornice probably pre-1819; an 1817 date is
associated in incomplete accounts for work by Richard Egmore, builder. Re-
used mid C18 panelling at first floor south west corner. House bought 1877
by Edward Green, builder of Ken Hill or Snettisham New Hall (1878-1881)(q,v)
See Elizabeth M. James. "The Old Hall, Snettisham, and the Styleman Family"
Norfolk Archaeology, xxviii, Part III, pp. 343-357.

Listing NGR: TF6850834346

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.