If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 5 June 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 221632
OS Grid Reference: TF8552636232
OS Grid Coordinates: 585526, 336232
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8915, 0.7564
There is also a scheduled monument, Site of Beaufoe's Manor, 180m South East of St Mary's Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around South Creake, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
TF 83 NE SOUTH CREAKE CHURCH ROAD (north)
2/48 Church of St. Mary.
Parish church. C13, C14, largely C15. West tower, nave and aisles, south porch,
chancel and north chapel. Rubble and knapped flint. Slated nave and chancel,
leaded aisle roofs. C14 rectangular on plan west tower has stone plinth and
quoined angle buttresses with set offs. 4-light Reticulated tracery west window
with drip mould strip at base and springing of arch. Lancets to upper chamber,
4 2-light Decorated tracery belfry windows. Moulded eaves, no parapet. South
porch has re-positioned C14 richly moulded arch with half columns. Simple
C14 north door with arch dying into splayed richly moulded arch. Angle
buttresses. Triangular gable with ogee niche, "MR" monograms in flushwork
repeated on returns. Decayed angle finials and base of central finial or cross.
2 north and south 2-light windows. 5 bay Perpendicular aisles, on south with
4 right angle and one set off angle cutstone buttresses, on north with 4 right
angles and 2 set off angle buttresses. Aisle east and west windows C14 3-light
Reticulated tracery, 4 north and south 3-light Perpendicular windows. 5 north
and south 3-light Perpendicular tracery clerestorey windows. 5 bay Perpen-
dicular clerestorey. Tower east face has line of earlier taller roof pitch.
Nave east gable has 2 set off buttresses, 3-light Perpendicular gable east
window. C13 and later chancel has 2 c.1300 'Y' tracery with trefoil head south
windows. One 3-light Perpendicular window to west with drip mould with label
stop heads. Evidence of blocked window or former extension to south. Buttressed
east gable with c.1300 5-light switch tracery window. Knapped flint north
chancel chapel has 3-light Reticulated tracery east window of opposed inter-
laced ogees, moulded frame and drip mould head. Early Perpendicular 2-light
north window with battlemented transom. 2 angle buttresses. Chancel north
has 2 simple 'Y' tracery windows. Interior: 5 bay north and south Perpendicular
arcades, double hollow chamfered arches, outer arch on uninterrupted splay,
inner arch with moulded capital. Octagonal seat bases, moulded semi-octagonal
inner order, knobbed bases to outer. Nave and aisles have C15 roofs of 5 bays.
Nave single hammerbeams with angels supporting arched braces. 5 semi-octagonal
wall posts with moulded bases and capitals supporting arched braced wall plate
with traceried spandrels cove, brattishing. Moulded through purlins and
central ridge with bosses. Aisle roofs, 5 bays, have moulded arched braces
with traceried spandrels and brattishing, carried by semi-octagonal wall posts
with moulded bases and capitals set on C15 stone brackets, angels with scrolls.
Moulded ridge and central rafter to each bay. Coving against outer and inner
walls with brattishing. North aisle has extra arched traceried half bay over
east end. C14 tower arch has trefoil section over, half pier and 2 angle
quarter piers, moulded bases and capitals, double hollow chamfered arch. Tower
arch of c.1300, order of complex section, with central half columns and
flanking colonnettes with rectangular fillets in between. C19 recut base,
original capitals. Richly moulded arch, 2 label stop heads, label above cut
away. To east, upper section of pier at south supported on C13 moulded corbel,
perhaps to house rood screen below towards chancel. Fine tripartite polychrome
C14 screen with traceried dado and gates, north and south lights with traceried
heads, central ogee tracery arch with infilling trefoil. Much delicate upper
tracery. South 4 centred rood stairs arch with in situ boarded door, first
floor roof loft arch. At north 2-light Perpendicular squint with painted
reverse side, under 4 centred arch with moulded intrados, spandrels and drip
mould. Chancel has moulded 2 column sedilia, C15 replacement carved lintel
in between with winged angels and rosettes. At north, angle piscina attached
with C13 angle colonnette with stiff-leaf capital. East window has moulded
internal arch with colonnettes with stiff leaf capitals. Moulded C14 north
door with label stop heads. Furnishings: C14 and C15 hexagonal painted goblet
pulpit, tracery panels. Mutilated illegible C15 octagonal seven sacrament
font set on 2 levels of octagonal steps. Much in situ tracery C14 and C15
glass in lights of south aisle east window, north aisle east and west windows
and 2 north aisle north windows. Tower arch screen c.1900. Chancel arch rood
beam c.1920, designed for other churches.
Listing NGR: TF8552636232
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.