Description: Church of St Edmund
Date Listed: 11 August 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 221792
OS Grid Reference: TF4885307383
OS Grid Coordinates: 548853, 307383
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6438, 0.1986
Explore more of the area around Emneth, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
EMNETH CHURCH ROAD
TF 40 NE
5/2 Church of St. Edmund
Parish church, c.1210 chancel, C15 nave, aisles and west tower, restored
1866. Ashlar with some brick, rendered to aisles. Slate nave and chancel
roofs, leaded aisles. 4 stage tower with angle buttresses. 4-centred west
door within square surround. 4-light panel tracery west window and 3-light
windows to north and south. 3-light louvred belfry windows with cusping below
transoms. Brick crenellated parapet. Stairs in south-east angle. 2 storey
south porch with polygonal stair turret to west. Diagonal buttresses flank
arched entrance. Statuary niche in gable between 2 trefoiled lancet lights
illuminating upper chamber. Trefoil lights to north and south. One ground
floor paired trefoiled side light north and south. Porch floor removed and
stairs blocked. North and south aisles embrace chancel. Set-off buttresses
separate 3-light Perpendicular panel traceried windows under hood moulds.
Arched priest's door in sixth bay of south aisle and 4-centred doorway in
first bay of north aisle. Diagonal south-east buttress and angle north-east
buttress. 6 3-light cusped 4-centred clerestory windows under hood moulds
on labels. Renewed sanctus bellcote at nave east gable. C13 chancel clasping
angle buttresses obscured by C15 aisle extensions. South aisle east window
as nave. North aisle elaborated later C13 into 2 storey vestry. C13 east
window blocked and now pierced by 3 C19 square-headed windows, 2 to ground,
one to upper floors. Chancel with 3 stepped Early English lancets above
string course. Lancets with continuous hood mould. Below string course are
2 pilaster strips themselves deflecting a double roll string course. Interior.
6 bay arcade of lozenge piers on high moulded plinths. Moulded capitals below
wave moulded arches. Colonnettes rise from piers to corbels supporting roof.
Clerestory windows over apexes. Tower arch has roll to responds and capitals
with carved angels. Arch mouldings wave moulded. Chancel arch similar.
Nave roof of moulded and crenellated tie beams on arched braces alternating
with hammerbeams in form of angels bearing books and instruments of passion.
Wall posts drop to corbels, the posts enriched by carvings of Angels, Kings
and Prophets. Spandrels of tie beam braces with pierced tracery, the ties
with 3 winged angels above crenellations. Queen and subsidiary posts rise
from ties to single tier moulded butt purlins and principals. Moulded ridge
piece. Aisle roofs of principals and 2 tiers moulded butt purlins, that of
south aisle largely renewed. Rood stairs in polygonal turret with crenellated
parapet. C15 rood screen of 2 bays right and left of cusped and sub-cusped
opening. Arched dado panels retain traces of colour. C19 west canopy with
tierceron vault. Top rail cresting C19. 25 C16 plain poppyhead nave benches.
Octagonal C15 font with panelled stem and bowl decorated with tracery
patterns, shields and figures bearing shields. 2 bay Early English chancel
arcade : waterholding bases, drum piers, polygonal capitals and chamfered
arches. Double roll hood mould with central carved dog's head to north and
rosette to south. Plain arched sedilia and piscina. East window with
internal annuleted shafts upon triangular bases. Single splayed lancet on
north now opens into north chancel aisle. Standing momument in south chancel
aisle to Thomas Hewar and wife by Nicholas Stone dated 1617. Marble. 3
columns with modified volute capitals stand on 3 bay pedestal and with rear
pilasters support stone tester. Effigies of Thomas Hewar and wife in
recumbent position before rectangular inscription panel. Upon tester are
achievements to south and west. In east wall of aisle and within the monument
a rectangular niche contains recumbent effigy of a child. On south wall of
aisle wall monument to Thomas Hewar and wife 1585. Marble and stone. Plain
plinth below apron of 2 panels separated by pilasters. 3 columns of
indeterminate order support dentilated pediment with crowning achievement,
the columns standing in front of 2 strapwork panels. Panels with coats of
arms above inscriptions and decorated with painted fruit and strapwork scrolls.
Listing NGR: TF4885307383
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.