British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Botolph, Grimston

Description: Church of St Botolph

Grade: I
Date Listed: 15 August 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 221967

OS Grid Reference: TF7217021891
OS Grid Coordinates: 572170, 321891
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7672, 0.5505

Location: B1153, Grimston, Norfolk PE32 1BG

Locality: Grimston
Local Authority: King's Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council
County: Norfolk
Country: England
Postcode: PE32 1BG

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Grimston, Norfolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 72 SW
(east side)
2/35 Church of St. Botolph
Parish church, C13 and later. Chancel restored 1889, nave restored 1895-6.
Clunch with facings of uncoursed carstone and broken flint with some erratics
and brick, stone dressings; slate roof, lead roof to aisles and porch. West
tower, nave, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, south porch,
chancel. Tall tower mainly of flint with C15 added bellstage: diagonal stepped
buttresses with flint flushwork, stone plinth; full height stair turret to
south-east; west doorway with continuous mouldings, 3-light Perpendicular west
window with transomed lights, string course-below; single cusped light under
a square head to north, west and south faces of stage above west window, that
to north having clock face of 1887 across it, east face with steep gable line
of former roof. Bell stage articulated by string course, 3-light bell openings
with 4-centred arches and panel tracery; embattled parapet with flint flushwork
panels and limestone shields, south face with ashlar panels, crocketted
pinnacles to each angle, string course below parapet with gargoyles to north,
west and south. Clerestoreys to north and south nave alike: broken flint and
brick mosaic, 4 3-light windows with panel tracery under 4-centred arches,
figure stops to hood moulds. East gable of nave raised, brick quoins; gable
cross. South aisle with 3 windows and one to west as to clerestorey; string
course; diagonal buttress to south-west angle changing above string course
to clasping polygonal buttress in ashlar rising to polygonal pointed cap.
North aisle of varied stones and brick including much limestone; diagonal
buttress, no string course, 3 windows and one to west as to clerestorey; north
doorway with stoup to left, mouldings to head of doorway and figure stops
renewed. South porch with diagonal buttresses, polygonal jambs to moulded
4-centred arch, niche above, gable cross, returns with openings of 3 cusped
headed lights renewed. Early English south doorway of 3 orders, each with
slender side shafts, deeply moulded arches, second order with dogstooth
moulding, hood mould with figure stops. North and south transepts: mainly
flint with some carstone and limestone, gables raised in carstone with brick
quoins, carstone to raised returns, diagonal buttresses; string course and
gable cross to south transept. C14 openings of 3 trefoil headed lights, those
to south transept with large cusped cinquefoil over lower central light, those
to north transept each under a trefoil. Chancel with green slate roof, gable
cross added, angle buttresses, brick buttresses to south; C13 east window
with fishscale tracery inserted c.1889; south and north lights renewed c.1889
in Decorated style, all of 2 lights under quatrefoils or trefoils, some with
figure stops; priest's door to south with hollow chamfered moulding and wide
stone dressings; north with gabled vestry of flint with gault brick dressings,
C19 2-light window with datestone of 1631 below. Interior: Early English 5
bay arcades north and south, the easternmost bays to transepts; slender quatre-
foil piers those to south and first bay of north transept having C13 shafts
with recessed angles to appear detatched, double chamfered arches; similar
chancel arch with jambs as south arcade piers. Arches from transepts to aisles
spring from grotesque corbels in aisle walls. Some springing from west
responds of arcades for former arch across nave. Tall C15 tower arch with
continuous moulding, semi-circular jambs. South aisle with string course,
window rear arches with slender shafts having figure or foliage stops, moulded
pointed segmental arch with foliage stops to rear arch of doorway, consecration
cross. Chancel: screen with C15 panels painted with floral diaper pattern,
C19 muntins and loft; painted and gilded wagon roof in 7 cants c.1889. Slender
shafts to east window mullions and rear arch; moulded rear arches to chancel
windows. Tall niches to either side of east window, piscina with sedilia all
with crocketted ogee heads, all discovered and restored c.1889. North priest's
door now to vestry with double hollow chamfered continuous moulding. Six
misericord stalls to rear of screen. Wide fronts of stalls and their left
and right returns having Decorated tracery to panels and carved ends depicting
the evangelists' symbols and mythical creatures. C17 table with carved frieze,
now extended. Nave: queen post roof c.1895 with wall posts and traceried
spandrels, carved leaf bosses; octagonal font with facetted faces supported
by 5 Early English colonettes; 8 C15 poppy heads, 6 with carved bench ends
including figure of man in stocks holding a pig over his shoulder.

Listing NGR: TF7217021891

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.