If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 15 August 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 222000
OS Grid Reference: TF6465015901
OS Grid Coordinates: 564650, 315901
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7157, 0.4361
Explore more of the area around North Runcton, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
NORTH RUNCTON THE GREEN
TF 61 NW
4/67 Church of All Saints
Parish church, 1713, by Henry Bell. Rendered, plain tiles; base of carstone
with stone dressings. West tower with attached vestries north and south,
nave and aisles in one, chancel. 3 stage tower: rusticated quoins to first
and second stage, angle pilasters to third stage; parapet with urn finials
at angles, fleche of white painted wood surmounted by gold ball and weather
vane. Semi-circular west doorway with keystone, flanking Tuscan half columns
with pediment above, double leaved door with leaded fanlight above. Second
stage with north and south face each with leaded oeil-de-boeuf, sundial to
south below bell opening; keyed semi-circular bell openings with wooden Y
tracery. Single storey vestries to north and south set back, each with high
parapet having blank pediment, each with segmental headed fixed leaded light
under blank pediment facing north and south. South nave rusticated at
angles; 3 bays, central bay breaking forward under pediment containing
sundial, rusticated quoins; bays 1 and 3 with segmental headed lights each
under a keyed oeil-de-boeuf with scalloped leaded pivoted light; central
bay with semi-circular headed light having wide continuous margin lights
with radiating glazing bars. North nave as south but without sundial and
with deep shaped buttresses at angles. Chancel of carstone and sandstone
with limestone cap to plinth; red brick pilasters at angles; south chancel
with two red brick pilasters, central organ bay of 1894 to match having
pedimented gable to south with shaped kneelers over brick pilasters, semi-
circular headed lights. East chancel with continuous red brick frieze.
Central opening as central nave flanked by red brick pilasters, gable with
red brick semi-circular hood mould above central light, gable cross. North
chancel with two brick pilasters flanking central light as east chancel.
Large lead covered vault c.1837 with limestone slab walls within angle of
north chancel and nave buttress, shields of Gurney and Gurney impaling Hay.
Interior: large dome above nave with ribs of overlapping leaves with cherubs;
4 tapering Ionic columns on tall bases supporting dome, capitals with egg
and dart echinus and festoons between volutes; panelled ceiling around dome
outside columns; semi-circular arch to tower with clasping Ionic pilasters
having capitals as to nave, small egg and dart moulding above arch, arch
with panelled reveals. Tripartite chancel arch with pairs of Ionic columns
in depth in antis; columns with capitals as to nave, hood moulding and
panelled reveals as to tower arch; central arch taller and keyed. East wall
and sanctuary returns with panelling designed by Henry Bell, 1684, for Church
of St. Margaret Kings Lynn: fluted and gilded Corinthian pilasters under
gilded cornice articulate painted canvas panels above raised wooden panels,
panels painted by Lamponi depict the evangelists; reredos recessed across
east window with painting of risen Christ. Vase turned rails; C17 table
with bulbous legs and strapwork frieze, top extended. Central candelabra
of 1713 with two tiers and cherub; a smaller candelabra at either end of
both aisles; slender grey marble font with small bowl and vase stem. Mural
monuments of 1727 and 1720 north and 1718 and c.1720 south, all of convex
cartouches with achievements, cherubs and swags; recess in west wall of south
aisle containing mural monument of 1755. Under tower an achievement of George
I dated 1719, wood, with flanking seated angels in fretwork. The former
church was destroyed by the collapse of the tower 15 August 1701; Henry Bell,
architect, lived in the parish.
Listing NGR: TF6465015901
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.