If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Mannington Hall
Date Listed: 20 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 224070
OS Grid Reference: TG1437432008
OS Grid Coordinates: 614374, 332008
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8429, 1.1817
Explore more of the area around Itteringham, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
TG 13 SW
7/49 Mannington Hall
Large moated hall house of c 1460 with later additions mainly of 1864.
Galletted mosaic of coursed alternating whole iron stained flints and knapped
flints. Pantile roof. Hall, now floored, with parlour and chamber over to
right, screens passage and service area with chamber over to left. Third
storey above. West Front: 3 storeys; stone dressings to plinth, quoins, and
embattled parapet, string course with gargoyle grotesques below parapet.
Large polygonal clasping turret to right. Off centre door to screens passage
to left has 4-centred arch, hollow chamfered rendered brick square hood mould
with square rebated stops. C14 fragment of unattached label stop depicting
bust of civilian to left. Above and to sides of doorway inscription, mainly
of 1864 in Black Letter. To right inserted fragments including arms in
terracotta and stone. All ground floor and first floor windows of rendered
brick mullions with plain segmental heads having square brick hood moulds with
square rebated label stops; ground floor to left of door of 2 lights, 4
lights to hall and to parlour to right, 1st floor of 4 lights to chamber
above service area to right and above parlour to left, 3 scattered 2 light win-
dows to centre. 2nd floor has 5 evenly spaced 2-light windows in rendered
brick beneath 4 centred arches and hood moulds. One square headed window of
2 lights to each floor of polygonal turret at right angle. South Facade:
Single bay gable end of hall of 2 storeys and attic. Embattled polygonal
clasping turrets at right and left angles, that to right being smaller.
Plain parapet to gable with stone plaque at apex. Turrets and gable parapets
articulated by string course. Windows as in west facade, the same to attic/2nd
floor, 4 leaded lights to ground and 1st floor. One 2-light square headed
window to each floor of left hand turret. Wide one bay, two storey extension
of 1864 to right to match; 4 light stone mullioned windows to ground and first
floor; platband and decorative tiles in moulded gault brick; embattled parapet
with blank gothic panel tracery in stone, having frieze below of moulded gault
brick tiles. Clasping polygonal buttress to right angle has ball finial.
East facing return to north: lower part of wall rebuilt 1969 when single storey
addition of 1864 was demolished, two 4-light mullioned windows from 1864
addition were inserted; upper wall of 1864 has two 4-light mullions. Parapet
has blank stone Gothic panel tracery with frieze below of moulded brick tiles,
those to north of C15 those to south of 1864 in gault Costessey brick to match.
Parapet and frieze articulated by moulded brick pilasters. C17 domestic
range to east at right refaced 1969; brick under pantiles. Arched doorway
and 4-light mullioned window of 1864 inserted. Chimneys to main hall, 1864
extension and domestic range in groups of 2 and 4 with decorative moulded brick
shafts with elaborate oversailing caps; some of these in red brick of C16,
others in C19 gault brick to match. East Front to Moat: domestic range of 5
bays. 2 storeyed brick gable of C17 range to left, coursed flint base with 2
large buttresses; mullioned windows with square hood moulds having square
rebated stops of 3 lights to ground floor and of 2 lights to first floor. To
left 4 bay range of 1896 on old foundations. Pebble flint under pantiles. 4
gabled half dormers with 3-light mullioned windows, scattered
fenestration below. North gable of range in pebble flint, dated 1896 on
plaque with Walpole arms surmounted by coronet. Lean-to to gable and adjacent
north facing wall rising from moat in brick under pantiles has curved east end.
Courtard approached by bridge (qv 7/51). Service range of 1896 to east:
mosiac of galletted knapped flints and whole flints; roof in vertical stripes
of black glazed and red pantiles; parapeted gable. Ground floor casement
windows and doors under segmentel arches. 2 gabled half dormers. Elaborate
C19 moulded axial chimney shafts, 3 to left, 4 to right, one at right gable.
North gable of hall to south: large blocked window to 1st floor, 2-light attic
window in gault brick. 2 storey brick service range to left, C19 facade with
4 sashes with glazing bars to 1st floor, door and varied fenestration to ground
floor. Chimney stack of 4 gault brick shafts, 2 x 2, above large internal fire
Interior: Screens passage has closed string hall staircase of 1864 and panell-
ing with acorn frieze. Fire place in room to left lined with Dutch tiles has
3 coats of arms, one effaced, one of the Ironmongers Company, the other a
merchant's mark. Hall to right: large fire place with pointed segmental arch
lined with Dutch tiles, to original external east wall. C16 panelling from
Irmingland Hall has carved frieze and 3 figure-head brackets over fireplace.
Round headed arch to right of fire place with projecting keystones and imposts
leads to dining room of 1864 which has plaster ceiling and marble fireplace
both with monogram HWW (Horatio Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford). Parlour to right
of hall has 4-centred moulded arch to fire place; heraldic stained glass c
Listing NGR: TG1437432008
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.