If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 16 April 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 224290
OS Grid Reference: TG3075334177
OS Grid Coordinates: 630753, 334177
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8556, 1.4260
Explore more of the area around Knapton, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
KNAPTON THE STREET
TG 33 SW
4/76 Church of St. Peter
16.4.55 and St. Paul (formerly listed
under Paston Civil Parish)
Parish church. Early C14 north-west tower and chancel, nave remodelled C15
when chancel altered. Restored 1882 by Sir G.G. Scott. Flint with ashlar
dressings, the chancel rendered. Nave roof of lead, chancel of plain tiles.
3 stage unbuttressed tower with 2-light Y tracery C19 west window. Pointed
hollow chamfered ringing chamber light above. 2-light belfry windows below
crenellated parapet. Weathervane of cockerel and pennant. 4-light cusped
intersecting nave west window of early C14 below 3-light Perpendicular window
under 4- centred arch. Diagonal buttresses to nave corners, stepped to flanks.
Gabled south porch with double chamfered opening below hood mould on label
stops. Above arch stepped 3 bay ogee statuary niches with finials. 2-light
cusped side lights. Inner south door with undercut and wave moulded jambs
and arch below hood mould which terminates in King and Queen head stops.
3 nave windows north and south, all restored : ogeed lights and
supermullions. Chancel with diagonal eastern buttresses and lit from south
through 2 3-light Perpendicular windows. Between them C19 gabled flint porch
covers priests' door. Dentil eaves cornice also C19. 3-light reticulated
east window. C19 gabled vestry abuts north chancel wall to east of 2 2-light
C14 Decorated mouchette windows. Interior. Double chamfered chancel arch.
Double hammerbeam nave roof documented 1504 in 12 trusses. Lower hammerbeams
carried on arched braces dropping to wall posts with pierced tracery spandrels.
Against wall posts are painted carved prophets below cusped and sub-cusped
pinnacled canopies, most figures decapitated. At base of wall posts a flight
of angels with spread wings dating from 1882 (all other details of 1504).
Moulded hammerbeams terminate in carved and painted angels bearing musical
instruments or scrolls. Hammerposts are moulded, again with pierced tracery
spandrels to the principal rafters. Arched braces rise to second tier of
hammerbeams with flight of painted angels bearing scrolls and shields. Second
tier of hammerposts with pierced tracery spandrels as before. Arched braces
extend upwards to moulded collars. King posts from centre of collars to ridge
piece. Against King posts stand painted angels to east and west. 2 tiers
moulded butt purlins. Wall plate linked to wall posts by carved arched
braces. Boarded ashlaring in 2 tiers, the lower tier coved, both with high
relief carvings of angels flanked by decorative shields. In all 160 angels
carved into this roof. C13 Purbeck marble octagonal font with bowl supported
on central column and 8 subsidiary orbital columns. Each face of bowl with
2 incised pointed arches. Timber font cover 1704. Octagonal with ogee canopy
standing on 8 turned balusters. Beneath canopy a frieze with a Greek
palindrome in 8 individual scrolls : NIYON ANOMHMA MH MONAN OYIN (Wash thou,
not only my face, but my transgression). Early C16 chancel screen of 4 bays
right and left of cusped opening. Traceried dado and ogee traceried lights,
all much restored. Founder's tomb recess with tomb slab at south-east nave
corner below stilted undercut arch. To left a piscina. Late C16 combined
reading desk and chair in chancel with arcaded panels and poppyhead bench
ends to chair. Flat sedilia and angle piscina standing upon fluted column
below ogee head with 2 encircled quatrefoils. At west end of nave 9 C13 tomb
Listing NGR: TG3075334177
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.