If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


The Dales, Upper Sheringham

Description: The Dales

Grade: II
Date Listed: 30 September 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 224652

OS Grid Reference: TG1413841870
OS Grid Coordinates: 614138, 341870
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9315, 1.1847

Location: 37 Lodge Hill, Upper Sheringham, Norfolk NR26 8TJ

Locality: Upper Sheringham
Local Authority: North Norfolk District Council
County: Norfolk
Country: England
Postcode: NR26 8TJ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Upper Sheringham, Norfolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TG 14 SW UPPER SHERINGHAM LODGE HILL

4/122 The Dales

II


Country House, now home for the elderly, 1913-14 in late C16 vernacular style,
possibly by E. Boardman. Coursed knapped squared flint with brick dressings,
plain tiles. Irregular plan. East front: 3 asymmetrical bays, to left of
2 storeys, to right with gabled first floor, the central bay a 3 storeyed
embattled tower with projecting gabled single storey porch. Left gable has
crowstepped parapet; first bay to left has plinth, quoins and string course
of gault brick, semi-circular bow window in red brick with conical plain tiled
roof to ground floor, 9 window lights, 5 of them casements, all with leaded
panes, hollow chamfered brick mullions; brick eaves cornice, 3-light window
with brick ovolo mullions. The centre bay breaks forward c.10cm, and rises
to 2nd floor with embattled parapet of brick and knapped flint chequerwork
having a frieze of moulded brick flowers terminating in terrcotta dragons.
Knapped flint gable to projecting porch with semi-circular headed rusticated
brick arch, brick to imposts; double leaved door of vertical fielded panels
and central rail under rubbed brick segmental arch; small 2-light window
with brick mullion to each return of porch. 1st and 2nd storey each with
6-light window having brick hollow chamfered mullions; central king mullion,
leaded panes and two casements, that to 1st floor transomed. 3rd bay to right
has jettied 1st floor with gable above, both with close painted timber
studding; central door to ground floor flanked by single lights and has
window above of 4 short lights, 2-light windows either side; 6-light wooden
casement to 1st floor with transom. Right hand return has polygonal 2-
storeyed turret with windows to 4 faces on both ground and 1st floor; close
painted timber studding between ground and first floor windows. South Facade:
2 storeys and attic, 5 irregular bays with crow stepped gables to bay 2 and
5. Stacks of 3 octagonal painted shafts with star caps across axis between
bays 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 4 and 5. Projecting single storey brick porch having
embattled parapet of knapped flint and brick chequerwork over a frieze of
moulded Tudor flower brick to 4th bay; 4-centred moulded brick arch having
foliage in the spandrels; large lozenge above of moulded brick showing Tudor
rose. Upper part of door glazed having a 4-centred head. Bay window in gault
brick with hipped tile roof to either side of porch, bays 3 and 5, each with
3-light casements with transoms. Leaded casements with ovolo moulded brick
mullions: 3-lights with transoms to first bay ground floor, 7-lights with
transoms and 2 king mullions to 2nd bay ground floor which breaks forward
having fretwork brick parapet of curved brick to balcony above. 3-lights
to first and 5th bay first floor, 2-lights to 3rd and recessed 4th bay. 2-
light window and door with flanking light to balcony above parapet of 2nd
bay; 2-light windows of gables of bays 2 and 5, gabled roof dormers with
wooden casements to bays 1 and 3. Interior: entrance hall from east with
oak panelling having fluted frieze, strapwork plaster ceiling with floral
designs; stairway behind arcade of classical arches in wood,
open well staircase with shaped balusters. Main rooms to south with carved
doorcases and marble fireplaces. The house was used as a hospital during
the 1914-18 war.


Listing NGR: TG1413841870

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |