If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of All Saints, Weybourne

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 4 October 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 224657

OS Grid Reference: TG1117043032
OS Grid Coordinates: 611170, 343032
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9431, 1.1414

Location: Sheringham Road, Weybourne, Norfolk NR25 7AH

Locality: Weybourne
Local Authority: North Norfolk District Council
County: Norfolk
Country: England
Postcode: NR25 7AH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


There is also a scheduled monument, Weybourne Priory, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Weybourne, Norfolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TG 14 SW WEYBOURNE THE STREET

4/127 Church of All Saints

4.10.60 II*

Parish church attached to ruins of former Augustinian Priory (q.v. 4/128), C13 and C14, flint with some erratics, stone dressings, plain tiles. C14 west tower, nave, chancel, south porch; north aisle rebuilt 1866 on foundations of Cll nave, north vestry of 1866, remains of Cll central tower to east of present north aisle and north of present chancel included in item 4/127. 3-stage tower: coursed flint to first stage, flushwork to embattled parapet and to diagonal buttresses, relieving arch to blocked west doorway of alternate brick and knapped flint, similar voussoirs to west window, bell openings and porch arch; 2-light bell openings with panel tracery, west and south faces with clock faces and small square sound holes with Decorated tracery, square stair turret to north. Diagonal buttresses to west nave, that to north part encased by tower. South nave of uncoursed galletted broken flint, 2 tall 2-light Decorated windows, gable parapet and cross. 2 storeyed south porch with diagonal buttresses, ground floor of knapped flint, first floor of brick and flint chequerwork, returns partly rebuilt in irregular whole and broken flint and erratics, moulded stone cornice; hollow chamfered arch with ogee niche above, tall narrow window of 2 trefoil headed lights with transoms under a square head to second storey. Porch interior: first floor removed, 2 niches to first floor east wall; south doorway of plain chamfered jambs, moulded arch with stone corbels to extended stop ledges at ends of hood mould; ledged and bat toned door dated 1890 in nail heads, wrought iron decorative strap hinges. Chancel with lean-to pantile roof against Cll tower to north; windowless east wall of coursed flint and erratics, south wall of broken flint with oversailing brick cornice, two openings, that to left of 2 lights with very thick bar tracery under a segmental head, that to right of 3 cusp headed lights with mouchettes. North aisle of 1866 in large uncoursed flints, Y-tracery window to east, 3-light intersecting tracery to west; low lean- to vestry of 1866 between north aisle and Cll tower, large uncoursed flints, slate roof, tall chimney shaft in pebble flint to north east. Interior: 2-bay arcade to north of round piers with double chamfered arches, in north chancel wall the part exposed impost of a third arcade pier. Late C19 arch braced hammer beam roof with wall posts, Decorated fretwork spandels, arch braced chancel roof. Double hollow chamfered chancel arch rising from stone shield corbels, plain jambs; ogee headed piscina with polygonal drainage shaft; sedilia in dropped rear arch of south window; blocked 4-centred arch to north to Cll tower, small blocked doorway to north. Wrought iron ogee-headed bars to communion rails, pulpit with early C17 panels from a three decker pulpit, 4 C1S poppy heads incorporated into C19 bench ends, 2 with figures to shoulders; ogee-headed piscina to south nave; small niche inside south doorway.




Listing NGR: TG1117043032

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |