If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Remigius
Date Listed: 26 November 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 226930
OS Grid Reference: TG1608204918
OS Grid Coordinates: 616082, 304918
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5991, 1.1892
Explore more of the area around Hethersett, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
TG 10 SE HETHERSETT NORWICH ROAD
5/45 Church of St. Remigius
Parish church, C14, restored 1874, flint with some erratics, stone
dressings, lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave with two roof lines,
chancel, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, north porch.
4-stage west tower with lead fleche and embattled parapet; 5-stepped diagonal
buttresses and plinth with flint chequered flushwork: western buttresses
with cusped niches; renewed 3-light west window breaking string course,
Decorated tracery, cusped niche above; second stage with slits to all 4
faces (that to east now within nave); third stage with clockface to north;
C14 2-light tall openings breaking string course, ogee-headed lights and
decorated tracery. Internal stair to south-west angle having pierced
quatrefoil lights; some bricks within flintwork. Nave: restored 1874, 3
bays to west with slate roof, 2 bays to east with lower pitched roof of
lead, gable between with added studwork and barge boards. Clerestorey
2-light openings all of 1874, 6 each to north and south of 2 lights under
a quatrefoil. 3 to west under basket heads, 3 to east with 4-centred arches
and quatrefoils. North porch: 2 storeys, broken flint, lead roof and gable
parapet; Perpendicular arch with side shafts having salamanders to capitals;
angel stops to hood and angels within spandrels; 2-light opening above with
panel tracery, empty niches to left and right. Porch returns with 2-light
openings with panel tracery renewed, east return with stone shield bearing
Passion symbols. Porch interior with tierceron vault with sculptured bosses,
the ribs spring from corbels with mythical beasts. Renewed perpendicular
doorway with a double-leaved door having wrought iron decorative panels.
North aisle with 4 renewed openings of 2 ogee-headed lights under a
quatrefoil; south aisle similar but with 4 large stepped brick buttresses
and stepped string course running into square hood mould of 4-centred south
doorway; both aisles with similar west openings. Chancel and transepts
rebuilt 1874 (the chancel having been in ruins since C16). Facings of field
flints; transepts attached to aisles with straight buttresses; diagonal
buttresses to east transepts and to chancel. Transept openings and north
and south openings to chancel of 2 trefoil-headed lights under a quatrefoil.
3-light east window of early C14 with Decorated tracery. Gable crosses
to chancel, east nave and porch. Interior: 5 bay arcade north and south
with quatrefoil piers and double hollow chamfered arches; Perpendicular
tower arch with semi-circular jambs, all painted with floral decoration
and texts 1866; seating of 1857. Roof renewed C19. Chancel arch and arches
to transepts with C19 quatrefoil jambs and double hollow chamfered arches.
Chancel with angle piscina in C13 style with red marble colonette. C14
trefoil headed piscina to south aisle. Octagonal font with varied cusped
figures to faces, bowl supported by central column and 8 small limestone
colonettes. High doorway to tower stair in north-west angle with pointed
arch and medieval boarded door. Mural monument in south aisle to Isaac
Motham 1703/4 by W. Stanton, inscription flanked by Corinthian columns under
broken segmental pediment containing achievement, putti at base. 13 Tournai
marble ledger slabs 1633-1816, many heraldic, including 1816 to "John Luke
Iselin Esq. a native of the City of Bazil in Switzerland ... Eminent Merchant
and Manufacturer in Norwich". Rails to north and south aisle chapels of
early spade-headed bench ends; C17 base to south aisle Table.
Listing NGR: TG1608204918
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.