Description: Roman Catholic Cathedral of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 26 February 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 229040
OS Grid Reference: TG2233508547
OS Grid Coordinates: 622335, 308547
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6291, 1.2839
TG 2208 NW EARLHAM ROAD
26.2.54 Roman Catholic Cathedral
of St. John the Baptist.
(Formerly listed as
Roman Catholic Church of
St. John the Baptist).
Church,now cathedral. 1882 (foundation stone 1884) to 1910 by Giles
Gilbert Scott (Jnr) and J. Oldrid Scott. Ashlar (Beer stone for nave:
Ancaster weathered and Clipsham stone for tower and transepts) with
lead roof. Cruciform plan with aisles and octagonal chapel off north
transept. Early English style. Lancet windows in 9-bay nave, 4-bay
chancel and 3-bay transepts, 5-light west window; 2-tier, 3-light east
window. Flying buttresses and clerestory. Turrets at corners of nave
and chancel. 2-stage crossing tower. Doors in 2-centred north porch
and in north transept have elaborate iron strapwork. Interior: Nave
arcade of massive round piers; triforium and wall arcades with black(Frosterly)
marble shafting; west gallery; stiff-leaf capitals and stone rib-vaulting
throughout. Rood bar with crucifix. Glass by John Powell of Hardman & Powell
and in the Chancel by Dunstan Powell.
Cathedral House, Unthank Road (q.v.) adjoins to the south.
Listing NGR: TG2233508547
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.