Description: The Briton's Arms
Date Listed: 26 February 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 229069
OS Grid Reference: TG2319308827
OS Grid Coordinates: 623193, 308827
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6313, 1.2967
TG 2308 NW ELM HILL
26.2.54 No.9. (The Briton's Arms)
Former beguinage, now restaurant. Early C15 and later. Timber frame.
Rendered. Thatched roof. Brick ridge-chimney. 3 storeys and cellar,
one bay to gable front with bracketed first and second floor jetties.
Only a second-floor jetty on right side elevation. High rendered plinth.
One step up to C19 half-glazed door to left. One C19 ground-floor
window with large panes. One mullioned first-floor casement of 6-lights.
Scattered fenestration on side elevation includes 3 mullioned casements,
one with leaded lights. Plain barge-boards. Current repairs revealed second
floor to be arcaded, which is to be left exposed on West and South elevations.
Interior has door with 2-Centred head and fireplaces on all floors. Reputed
to be the only house in Elm Hill to escape destruction by fire in 1507 and one
of the few remaining thatched roofs in Norwich.
Listing NGR: TG2319308827
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.