Description: St Andrew's and Blackfriars Halls
Date Listed: 26 February 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 229471
OS Grid Reference: TG2315308810
OS Grid Coordinates: 623153, 308810
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6311, 1.2961
There is also a scheduled monument, Dominican friary, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
TG 2308 NW ST. ANDREW'S STREET
26.2.54 St. Andrew's and Blackfriars Halls.
Former friary, now partly amenities centre and partly art school. C14 and C15
with C19 and C20 alterations and additions. Flint with stone and brick dressings.
Ashlar facing. Brick. Lead, slate and pantile roofs. Nave with north and south
aisles, walkway and chancel. Remains of monastic offices and cloister to the
north. Former church:- 7 bay nave with five 3-light decorated windows to south
aisle. 2 storey C19 perpendicular porch in second bay from west. C19 doorway in
fifth bay. 4-light perpendicular window with staggered transoms in easternmost
bay. Tall 3-light perpendicular window in walkway bay with staggered and
brattished transoms. Fourteen 3-light perpendicular clerestory windows. The west
end of the nave was re-faced and re-windowed in the C19. Five bay chancel with
5-light perpendicular windows having staggered brattished transoms and 2-centre
brick arches. Large 7-light east window with decorated tracery. Nave interior:
4-shaft columns, smaller on north/south with wide hollow chamfer between. The
inside shaft extends upwards to form corbel at clerestory level. Smaller shafts
above the 2-centre aisle arches. Hammer-beam roof with double butt-purlins and
ridge-piece. Carved spandrels in aisles with shields in north and wheels in south.
C19 chancel arch. Chancel: doorway in north wall second bay from the east with
double-order flat chamfer surround. Single butt-purlin roof with ridge piece and
curved braces from wall-posts to apex. Cloister to the north:- complete south
range of 9 vaulted bays misaligned against nave. 2 storeys with additional C19
storey at west end. 4 large openings with 2-centre arches at ground floor having
C20 glazing. Nine first-floor windows with pointed arches, some with glazing
bars. Traces of six mediaeval blocked windows. East range:- 6 large openings
with 2-centre arches having C20 glazing. Door at extreme left. 2 storeys over
4 north arches. Five casement windows with glazing bars and one C15 single-light
window with cusped arch at 1st floor. C19 north wall. Hipped roof with 4 sloping
roof dormers. West range:- 2 storeys. The east wall has 4 blocked ground floor
openings with 2-centre arches. C19 carriage entry at north end with C19 entry
porch and semi-circular brick stair-turret to the left. 4 first floor casement windows.
The west side range, including the twin-aisled extension of the south cloister
range was completely refaced in Early English style in 1861 by 30S. Benest.
Excavated remains of the north cloister range. The quadrangle is closed on the
north side by the Art School building of 1899. Chapter House:- excavated remains
of 3-bay twin-aisled range east of east cloister range. One respond and blocked
doorway in west wall. The Crypt:- 4 bays of brick vaulting with central remade
stone pier. Doors and blocked openings on wall 4 walls. Becket's Chapel:-
to the east of the crypt. Remains of a 6-bay chapel with brick responds for
vaulting. Piscina in south wall, east end. Fine C20 glass roof. The complex
ranks highly as one of the most complete Dominican Friaries in England. Scheduled
as Ancient Monument. H. Sutermeister - The Norwich Blackfriars: A History and
Guide to St. Andrew's and Blackfriars' Halls (with Bibliography) Norwich City
Listing NGR: TG2315308810
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.