Description: Church of the Holy Sepulchre
Date Listed: 19 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 232217
OS Grid Reference: SP7539160939
OS Grid Coordinates: 475391, 260939
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2415, -0.8973
725/1/5 SHEEP STREET
19-JAN-52 (East side)
CHURCH OF THE HOLY SEPULCHRE
One of the rare round churches, having a circular nave, derived from the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. The original church of about 1100 had a round nave of 8 columns, supporting a triforium, and a short chancel, probably apse-ended. A North aisle was added circa 118O, leaving the present arcade. A second North aisle was added circa 1275. During the early C15 a South aisle was built, the triforium of the round was replaced by a clerestory, and a Western tower was
added. The restoration of 1860-4 added further extensions to the East. The
round, now the Baptistry, is still impressive, though restored 1868-73. Additions of 1860-4 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Not a Templar church, always a parish church. Chancel screen by Oldrid Scott, 1880. Brass of 1640.
Listing NGR: SP7539160939
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.