British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter Parish Church of St Peter, Raunds

Description: Church of St Peter Parish Church of St Peter

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 April 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 232404

OS Grid Reference: TL0004073087
OS Grid Coordinates: 500040, 273087
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3467, -0.5328

Location: 34 Park Road, Raunds, Northamptonshire NN9 6HA

Locality: Raunds
Local Authority: East Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: NN9 6HA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Raunds, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TL07NW (North side)
6/103 Church of St. Peter
26/04/50 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. Peter)

Church. C12, C13 and C14, some C19 restoration. Squared coursed limestone with
ashlar dressings and ashlar west tower and spire. Lead roofs. Aisled nave and
chancel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of one-window
range with 3-light Perpendicular window under 4-centred arch head with transoms
and cusping. Chancel has clerestory and shallow gabled roof with castellated
ashlar parapets. Fine 6-light east window of c.1275, restored c.1900 has large
roundel with cusping and 6 quatrefoil circles. Flanking gabled buttresses. North
elevation of chancel is of 3 bays. 2-window range of 3-light Perpendicular
windows under 4-centred heads, with transom and cusping. Irregularly spaced 2-
and 3-stage buttresses between bays. South aisle and south chancel of 9 bays,
7-window range. Four 3-light early Perpendicular windows to nave aisle and two
3-light Perpendicular south chapel windows under 4-centred arch heads. Several
windows have carved label stops. Central 2-light square-head window has
Transitional south door to right with stepped arch and one order of shafts.
2-stave buttresses between bays. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 3-light
Perpendicular east window with segmental head, transoms and cusping. 3-light
west window has ogee head. 2-storey porch to left of nave range has triple
chamfered outer arch with 3 orders of renewed shafts. 2-light window above.
Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapet with sundial and finial.
Double stepped and chamfered inner door has one order of shafts. Moulded ceiling
beams. North aisle of 7 bays, 6-window range of 6-light windows with flowing
tracery. Double chamfered and stepped north door, with one order of shafts, in
bay to right of centre. 2 stage buttresses between bays and ashlar parapets with
2 gargoyles. 3-light east and 4-light west window. Nave clerestory of 7-window
range of 2-light Perpendicular windows. Shallow gabled roof with shallow
castellated parapet and finial. Chancel clerestory of 4-window range, to south
side only, is of 2-light square-head windows. Fine Early English west tower of 4
stages with 4-stage set back angle buttresses. Nest portal has roll moulded
outer arch with cluster shafts and similar slight recesses inner arch. Small
blank trefoil-head arches to left and right. Second stage of west face is a
4-bay arcade of single and double chamfered arches with cluster shafts. Lancets
in centre 2 bays with roll mouldings. Outer arcades are blank with trefoil heads
and central quatrefoil windows. The second stage of the north and south faces
are taller than the west face and have 4 bays of blank arcading with double
chamfered arches, cluster piers and trefoils in the spandrels. The north face
has. corbelled Y-tracery with carved figures at the apex of each arch and
musicians in each spandrel. The third stage of the west face has a central gable
with flanking diagonals forming a W shape, and 2-light trefoil-head window with
shafts. 2 blind quatrefoils flanking at the lower level and 2 similar at the
upper level. North and south faces of third stage of 5 bays of blank arcades
with shafts with a central 2-light window. Similar east face. Each face of
fourth stage has pairs of double lancet bell-chamber openings with double
chamfered heads, enclosing outer arch and shafts. Blank arch to left and right
on each face. Corbel table and broach spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes, each with
Y-tracery. Interior: C13 five-bay nave arcade of double chamfered arches with
octagonal piers. The 2 arcades are probably of slightly different builds. South
arcade has half arch at abutment with chancel and second pier from chancel is
formed of 2 octagonal responds, probably corresponding with the transept of the
C12 church. Evidence of C12 window head above south arcade. Chancel arch with
hollow chamfer and 2 rows of ball flowers. Triple chamfered tower arch with
shafts has C15 stone clock dial in apex. Inner arch below clock dial links with
belfry rib vault which has a central octagonal opening. 2 and 2 half-bays of
chamfered arches between chancel and south aisle have circular piers. Original
moulded tie beams and corbels to aisle roofs. 2 piscinas and single sedilia,
with crocketted gable, to right of altar. Piscina with trefoil head in former
south chapel, now vestry. C13 circular font with rams head attached to bowl.
Base of Perpendicular chancel screen and reset fragments of screen in chancel
arcades. Reredos with flowing tracery to north aisle altar. C18 polygonal table
was formerly the tester of the pulpit. Brass chandelier given in 1762.
Monuments: brasses to John Tawyer died 1470 and wife, also Lady c.1500 both to
right of chancel altar and slab with brass indents to left. John Wales, vicar,
died 1496 is a chest tomb with trefoil head panels and no effigy. Coffin lid
with foliated cross in south aisle. 3 C19 marble tablets to north wall of
chancel. Wall painting: C15, nave, north wall: pride and her 6 children, St.
Christopher, 3 quick and 3 dead, over north doorway St. George; north aisle wall
fragments of legend of St. Catherine. Chancel arch, angels with instruments of
the passion. Stained glass: east window by Kempe 1907. 2 C20 windows in north
aisle and one in south aisle with reset fragments of medieval glass in the apex.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.381; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.4,

Listing NGR: TL0004073087

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.