If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 25 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232458
OS Grid Reference: TL0112281522
OS Grid Coordinates: 501122, 281522
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4223, -0.5144
Explore more of the area around Aldwincle, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.
TL08SW ALDWINCLE THORPE ROAD
4/26 Church of All Saints
Church, now redundant. C13 and C15 restored C19. Squared coursed limestone with
ashlar tower and lead and Colleyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, north
vestry, south chantry chapel and west tower. South elevation of chancel is of
one-window range with a tall 2-light Perpendicular window. Gabled roof with
ashlar gable parapets. 2-bay chantry chapel is attached to left of chancel.
2-window range of 3-light windows with 2-centred arch heads and hollow reveals.
Window to left has a high cill with a priest door below with 4-centre arch head
and rosette label stops. Rosettes also in the spandrels. 2-stage buttresses
between windows, terminating as pinnacles; only south-east corner pinnacle
remains. Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet. 4-light east window has
hollow reveals and rosette label stops. The walls of the chantry chapel are
rendered with pink coloured, scored, render. C19 four-light east window to
chancel has plate tracery with cusped roundel. North elevation of chancel of 3
bays, 2-window range. Tall 2-light Perpendicular window to right and C19
two-light window, with plate tracery, to centre. Bay to left has lean-to vestry
with 2-light windows in north and east elevations. South aisle of 3-bays,
2-window range, of 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads.
Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parpet. 2-light west window has reticulated
tracery. Shallow gabled porch to left, has double-chamfered arch with 2-centred
head and corbelled responds. North aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range, to left, of
tall 3-light Perpendicular windows, with 4-centred arch head. North door to
right has 2-centred arch head and roll moulded surround. All openings have
carved label stops. Buttresses at corners. Lean-to roof has castellated ashlar
parapet. 2-light east and west windows have reticulated tracery. Nave clerestory
of 3-bay, 2-window range of 2-light, square-head, windows, in outer bays.
Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapets. Fine Perpendicular west
tower of 4 stages with moulded plinth. Shallow pilasters at corners terminate as
crocketed, octagonal, pinnacles. West doorway has 2-centred arch head set in
square surround. Moulded reveals with crocketed hood mould supported by single
order of shafts. Quatrefoils and cusping in spandrels. 3-light west window to
second stage has 2-centre arch head rising into third stage, with crocketed hood
mould. The lower part of the window is blank. Ogee-head niche above window in
third stage. Pairs of tall 2-light square-head bell-chamber openings, with
transoms and cuspings, to each face of upper stage. Double-hollow reveals and
lattice brickwork panels to lights. String course forms hood mould to window.
String course between stages are decorated at corners with human heads and
animals. Quatrefoil frieze above bell-chamber openings. Central gargoyles to
each face are flanked by smaller carved heads. Gargoyles at corners and
castellated ashlar parapet. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of C13 double-chamfered
arches with circular piers and corbelled responds. Circular abaci, some with
nailhead decoration. Double-chamfered chancel arch on cone corbels with nailhead
decoration. Triple-chamfered tower arch. Moulded arches from south aisle and
chancel to south chapel. Arch from chancel has cluster shaft responds with
carved shields attached to capitals. Original roof structure to nave and north
aisle, others are C19. Piscina in south wall of chantry chapel has ogee head
with 2 quatrefoils in spandrels. Remains of piscina in north aisle. Octagonal
font supported on cluster shaft. Jacobean communion rail. Fragments of wall
painting depicting St. Christopher in nave. Royal hatchment flanked by Ten
Commandments, above chancel arch. Spinacre family hatchment in chancel.
Monument: William Aldwyncle died 1463, brass figure in chancel floor. Inscribed
tablet 1655 in chancel floor probably to Culpin family. John Pykering died 1637,
remains of chest tomb relocated from churchyard to north aisle. John Pykering,
C17 tablet, surround only remains. Daniel Walsh, died 1707, inscribed tablet in
chancel floor. Various C18 tablets to Spinacre family in first floor of chantry
chapel. Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass in aisle and chantry chapel
windows. Late C19 east window. Chantry chapel founded by Elizabeth Chambre 1489.
Pykering family were ancestors of John Dryden, poet, who was born at Aldwincle
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.77; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3,
Listing NGR: TL0112281522
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.