If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: All Saints Chancel
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232568
OS Grid Reference: TL0486984417
OS Grid Coordinates: 504869, 284417
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4477, -0.4584
There is also a scheduled monument, Site of manor house and gardens, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Barnwell, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.
BARNWELL BARNWELL ALL SAINTS
21/13 All Saints Chancel
23/05/67 (Formerly listed as remains of
the Church of All Saints.
Church. C13, C14 and C18, restored 1893. Squared coursed limestone with lead
roof. Chancel only remains, nave, aisles and tower removed 1823/25. South
elevation of 2 bays, one-window range. 3-light Perpendicular window to right
with transom, cusping, hollow reveals and 4-centred arch head. Lower lights are
blocked. Square-head opening now blocked, to left, has trefoil tracery, hood
mould and carved label stops. Single-stage buttress to left, chamfered plinth
and remains of string course. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapet and
finial. 5-light Perpendicular east window with hollow reveals and 4-centred arch
head. Lower section of window is blocked with an ashlar, panelled, screen.
Chamfered plinth below window. Partially legible inscription on panel. North
elevation has central, 2-light, Perpendicular window with transom, cusping,
hollow reveals and 4-centred arch head. Small low side lancet window to right,
now blocked. Fragment of return wall of nave aisle, attached to far right, is
now formed into a buttress. West elevation has central, chamfered, chancel arch
with semi-circular responds, now blocked. Central doorway, set in centre of
arch, has 4-centred arch head and carved label stops. Interior: west wall has
outline of former chancel arch. Fielded panelled reredos and side panelling to
the sanctury. Centre panels have arched heads flanked by pilasters with
Corinthian capitals. Panel to far right is hinged and has an MSS, on vellum,
about the life and death of Henery Montagu, behind the panel. A panel on the
right hand wall is also hinged to give access to a piscina. C19 roof structure.
Monuments: Dame Letice Montagu died 1611. Inscribed tablet, bracketted from the
south wall, with armorial device in panel above. Moulded cornice above is
surmounted by a circular shell device with an obelisk above and flanking
coronets. Henry Montagu died 1625. Tall marble obelisk against the south wall
surmounted by an heraldic device. The upper section of the obelisk is divided
into 5 panels bearing the arms of Henry Montagu's ancestors. An arched recess
below has a figure of the deceased who drowned in infancy. Below is a
representation of water with a central spout and flanking feet. Inscribed panels
relate the manner of death. Hon. Richard Montagu died 1697: brass plaque behind
hinged panel to right of altar, also illegible brass panel alongside. Thomas
Dillingham died 1704: inscribed tablet on north wall with arms above and below
and small arm above. Mrs. Elizabeth Creed died 1714: black arch-head tablet on
west wall with ashlar surround, keyblock and moulded cornice surmounted by urn
with torchere. The inscribed tablet may be reset. Matthew Hunt died 1729, and
wife: inscribed tablet, on north wall, surmounted by urn with torchere is set in
arched niche. William Dillingham, died 1744, and wife: inscribed tablet, on
north wall, with moulded cornice and 3 finials. C18 tablet describing family of
Sir Charles Montagu, against south wall. A brass tablet on the south wall
records all members of the Montagu family, who became Earls of Sandwich, who
were buried in the family vault beneath this church between 1625 and 1862.
Various C17 and C18 black, inscribed, floor tablets, to Earls of Sandwich.
Octagonal font, part supported off the wall and part supported on 2 octagonal
columns. A helmet and rapier are attached to the wall above monument to Henry
Montagu. The sanctaury panelling is said to have been a gift from John, second
Duke of Montagu in 1740.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p101)
Listing NGR: TL0486984417
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.