British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Andrew, Cotterstock

Description: Church of St Andrew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232603

OS Grid Reference: TL0489890549
OS Grid Coordinates: 504898, 290549
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5028, -0.4560

Location: 7 Mill Lane, Cotterstock PE8 5HH

Locality: Cotterstock
Local Authority: East Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE8 5HH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Cotterstock, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TL0490 (East side)
17/48 Church of St. Andrew

Church. Late C12, C13, C14 chancel added after foundation of College at
Cotterstock in 1337, C15 porch, restored and extended 1876. Coursed limestone
rubble, squared coursed limestone and limestone ashlar with Colleyweston slate
and lead roofs. Aisled nave chancel south porch, vestry and west tower. South
elevation of chancel is ashlar with a 3-window range of large, 3-light,
Decorated windows with cusped lozenges. 2-stage buttresses between bays. Plain
parapet with 2 gargoyles. Steeply gabled roof with Colleyweston slates and
ashlar gable parapets. 5-light east window is similar to south aisle windows.
Central buttress below window and flanking 3-stage buttresses, stringcourse
above window and plain gable above. North elevation of chancel of 3 bays,
2-window range of 3-light windows similar to the south elevation. Central 2
stage buttress and priest's door to left. Gabled vestry c.1876 projects from bay
to far left. C19 octagonal flue rises from parapet of main roof. South aisle of
2 bays, one-window range with a 2-light square-head window to the right. 2-stage
clasping buttresses at the corners. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets.
2-light east and west windows; west window has a square head. Ashlar gabled
porch projects from left bay. Outer doorway has 4-centre arch head and moulded
stone surround with multi-polygonal responds. Inner doorway is double chamfered
with a 2-centred arch head. 2-stage clasping buttresses at corners. 2-light
square head windows, in return walls, have central gargoyles above. Shallow
gabled roof, with castellated ashlar parapet, has armorial beasts at apex and
eaves. Tierceron-vaulted ceiling with ridge ribs and fine carved bosses. North
aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range of 2-light square head windows. North doorway,
in bay to right, has 2-centred arch head and moulded surround. Single-stage
clasping buttresses at corners. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. 2-light east
and west windows; west window has square head. Nave clerestory of 2-window range
of 2-light square-head windows. Shallow gabled roof has plain ashlar parapet
with corbel table. West tower of regular coursed rubble, 3 stages with ashlar
clasping buttresses to western corners of lower 2 stages. Late C12 west doorway
has one order of shafts with scalloped capitals and semi-circular arch with
zig-zag decoration. Niche, above; has a carved bracket and C19 statue of St.
Andrew. Small single-light window above. There are no divisions between the
lower 2 stages on the south and west faces. The lower stage on the north face is
rendered. C13 two-light bell-chamber openings with plate tracery, one order of
shafts and central shafts. Perpendicular castellated ashlar parapet has panel
decoration. Evidence of blocked openings in south wall of tower. Interior: 2-bay
nave arcade of early C13 double-chamfered arches with circular piers and
octagonal capitals. Double chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds
and double chamfered tower arch with semi-circular responds and nailhead
decoration to the capitals. Original chancel ceiling, following a shallower
pitch than the gabled roof above it, has moulded beams with 5 carved bosses. C19
nave and aisle roofs. Piscina and triple sedilia, to right of altar, has ogee
head openings with carved label stops and crocketing. Ogee-head niche to left of
altar. Doorway to vestry has traces of paintwork on hood mould and originally
led to the College buildings. Stone benches to aisle walls. Coffin lid forms
bench end to left of south doorway. Squints to right and left of chancel arch.
Carved bracket to left of north aisle east window. Stained glass: fragments of
medieval glass in north east window of north aisle. C19 and C20 stained glass in
centre and east windows of north aisle, south east and east windows of south
aisle and belfry window. Perpendicular octagonal font decorated with eleborate
cusping. Monuments: Defaced effigy in tower probably a C13 Canon. Robert
Wintringham, Canon of Lincoln died 1420, brass effigy with architectural
surround with tall pinnacles. John Sinscare died 1760 by Edward Bingham of
Peterborough. Inscribed tablet in tower with flanking tapered pilasters and
obelisk over; naval still-life below. Various C18 and C19 inscribed tablets in
tower. The Chantry College was founded for a provost and 12 Canons by John
Gifford, Canon of York and was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, Blessed
Apostles, St. Andrew and All Saints. It was dissolved in 1536.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p160; VCH: Northamptonshire; Vol.2:
p166; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire:

Listing NGR: TL0489890549

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.