If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232657
OS Grid Reference: TL0684087060
OS Grid Coordinates: 506840, 287060
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4710, -0.4286
Explore more of the area around Polebrook, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.
POLEBROOK CHURCH ROW
TL0687 (East side)
19/102 Church of All Saints
Church. Late C12, early C13, C14 and C18, restored C19. Squared coursed and
regular coursed limestone with ashlar spire. Lead, Colleyweston and Welsh slate
roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, transepts, north and south porches, vestry and
south west tower. South elevation of chancel of 3-window range of lancets.
Window to far left is a low side lancet with central transom and partially
blocked lower light. Blocked priests door, with semi-circular head, to left of
centre. Shallow gabled roof with Welsh slates has corbel table with plain ashlar
parapet and 2 gargoyles. Ashlar gable parapets with finials at apex and eaves.
Triple lancet east window. North elevation of chancel is a 2-window range of
lancets, similar to the south elevation, with a low side window to the far
right. C18 vestry, attached to left bay, has gabled roof with Colleyweston
slates and ashlar gable parapets. Arch head doorway, with window above, in east
elevation. Single-light window, with pointed head, in north elevation. Lean-to
attached to west is probably C19. South transept has 3-light west window, with
intersecting tracery with cusping, restored C19. Shallow gabled roof with
finials at appex and eaves. East return wall has a 2-light square-head window
with plate tracery. Lancet window, to right, is in east wall of south aisle.
West return wall is blank. North transept has 4-light north window with paired
lights with Y-tracery and 4-centred arch head. Shallow gabled roof all similar
to south aisle. East return wall of 2-window range of 2-light windows with
Curvilinear tracery. West return wall has single lancet. South aisle has central
gabled porch. Double-chamfered outer arch has crude cluster responds and
semi-circular inner doorway with roll moulding continued as single shaft. Ashlar
gable parapets and Colleyweston slate roof. North aisle has similar central
porch with fine mid C13 outer doorway. Moulded arch with 2 orders of
colonnettes. Single chamfered inner doorway. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar
parapets and finials at appex and eaves. Some original roof structure remains.
Steeply gabled nave roof has Colleyweston slates and ashlar parapets and finial.
South west tower of 2 stages with 3-stage clasping buttresses to 3 corners of
lower stage. Lancet windows, to south and west faces of lower part of first
stage, have dogtooth decoration above; the south window is blocked. West window
above has trefoil cusping. Wooden clock face over window has single handed
mechanism. 2-light bell-chamber openings, with transom, to each face of upper
stage, have central column and cluster shaft responds. Lower lights are blind.
Semi-circular hood mould over. Bell-chamber openings are set in recessed panels
with a section of corbel table above each panel. Broach spire with 3 tiers of
lucarnes, the lower tiers are of 2 lights with a central column. Interior: 3-bay
nave arcade. North arcade has semi-circular double-chamfered arches with a
circular pier and semi-circular responds. Waterleaf capitals with square,
notched, abaci. Section of wall between centre and east arches. Later south
arcade is similar. Triple-chamfered tower arch to west. Similar arch on return
wall of tower facing into south aisle. Semi-circular, double-chamfered, chancel
arch is similar to north arcade. 2-centred, double-chamfered, arch between north
aisle and north transept has short cluster shaft respond supported on corbelled
bracket. Nave roof has queen posts braced to collars, dated 1636 on purlin. 3
other purlins are decorated and cross beam has cross keys, short square wall
posts, Chancel roof has King post truss braced to ridge, original moulded beams
with carved bosses. Both roofs restored C19. C19 aisle and transept roofs. The
east windows have fine roll moulded heads and cluster shafts. Double piscina to
right of alter has detached shafts and dogtooth decoration. Fine early/mid C13
blank arcading to north and west wall of north transept, has roll moulded heads
and detached shafts. Plain square-head aumbry to left of north transept altar
has C17 panelled door. Double piscina in south transept has central shaft.
Vestry doorway has rosette label stops. Perpendicular chancel screen with
one-light divisions. Late C13/early C14 benches ends in south transept
incorporated into C17 pews, one has date "1B, 1663". Octagonal font with flat
trefoil arches around bowl and detached shafts around base. C17 pulpit. C17
style panelling around altar. C18 poor box on bolection moulded shaft. Stained
glass: C19 and C20 stained glass to transepts and south east window of chancel.
Wall paintings: traces to left of pulpit and in north transept arcade. There is
evidence of a steeper pitched roof which originally spanned the nave and aisles
as a single pitch. Monuments: partially legible early C18 marble wall tablet to
right of altar, has segmental pediment above and cherubs with trumpets and an
open book below. Captain John Orme, died 1764 and wife: marble wall tablet to
left of altar has broken pediment above and naval devices below. Various C19 and
C20 inscribed wall tablets in chancel and transepts including those to Rev.
Euseby Isham and Ferguson family.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p375; VCH: Northamptonshire, Vol.3:
p101; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire:
Listing NGR: TL0684087060
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.