If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St James
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232702
OS Grid Reference: TL0857682857
OS Grid Coordinates: 508576, 282857
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4329, -0.4044
Explore more of the area around Thurning, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.
THURNING WINWICK ROAD
TL08SE (South side)
12/145 Church of St. James
Church. C12 to C14, west wall and spirelet rebuilt and church restored 1880 by
Carpenter and Ingelow. Squared coursed and regular coursed limestone with lead
roof. Aisled nave, chancel, south porch and west spirelet. South elevation of
chancel of 2 windows of C14 two-and 3-light windows with curvilinear tracery.
Small low side window, with similar tracery, to far left. Central priests door.
3-stage clasping buttress at corner. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar
parapet. 4-light east window has Curvilinear tracery and carved label stops.
North elevation of chancel is of one-window range with C19 three-light window
with tracery. North aisle-vestry projects over one bay of chancel. Circular
stair turret, with conical roof, is attached to right bay of chancel and rises
from north aisle roof. South aisle of 2 bays, one-window range to right, with a
3-light square-head window, restored C19. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar
parapet. C14 two-light east window is a double lancet, with trefoil tracery,
probably restored C19. Gabled porch, to left of south aisle, has outer doorway
with 4-centred-arch head, roll moulding and hollow semi-circular responds. Inner
doorway has 2-centred-arch head with roll moulding and studded plank door,
probably rehung. Octagonal, Holy Water stoup to right of door. Single-light
windows in return walls. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapets. North
aisle of 4 bays. 3-window range of 2-and3-light square-head windows, restored
C19. North doorway, to far right, has roll mouldings and 2-centred-arch head.
Three 2-stage buttresses between bays. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet.
2-stage west tower and spirelet project from centre of west wall and are flanked
by 2-stage buttresses. 2-light west window has 4-centred-arch head, transom and
cusping.Window is set in arch-head recess at base of tower, flanked by shallow
buttresses. Corbelled bracket above apex of window. Upper stage of tower has
2-light bell-chamber opening with ogee-head lights, to west face. One bell is
hung in each opening. Other faces have single-light openings with transom and
cusping. Quatrefoil frieze and moulded cornice above. Broach spirelet with one
tier of lucarnes. Interior: 2 bay nave arcade. North arcade is c1200 with
chamfered and roll moulded, semi-circular arches and circular pier with matching
responds. The south arcade is c1300 with double-chamfered and hollowed arches
with quatrefoil pier. Semi-circular respond to east and octagonal pier to west
abutting the west wall. C12 semi-circular chancel arch with semi-circular
responds and scalloped capitals. Moulded tower arch c1880 may incorporate
medieval masonry. Semi-circular arch above the chancel arch, is probably late
C19 and gives access to the organ loft. 2 moulded arches between north chapel
and chancel have carved label stops and a masonry pier between. Small doorway,
to right, gives access to north chapel. Late C19 roof structures. C19 squint to
right of chancel arch. Niche to left of altar and piscina, with trefoil head, to
right. Remains of sedilia alongside. 2 squints in north wall of chancel. Niche
to north wall of north aisle and trefoil head piscina to right of south aisle
altar. Turret stair rises from north chapel. Jacobean pulpit panels. Reading
desk, lecturn and bench in the chancel also have reset Jacobean panels, Various
C19 and early C20 painted screens and organ gallery, above the chancel arch, all
decorated with High Anglican symbolism. The chancel screen is by Sir Ninian
Comper. Octagonal font supported on 5 shafts. Stained glass: late Cl9 chancel
windows and aid C20 east window of south aisle. Monuments: Susanna Welles died
1658; brass wall plaque to west return of north arcade. Robert Negus died 1657;
inscribed plaque to south wall of north chapel. Various C18 inscribed floor
tablets and C19 wall tablets. At the west end of the nave springing of a further
arcade abutts the west wall. The respond abutting the wall on the north side has
nailhead decoration. The church had links with the Oxford Movement in the late
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p431. VCH: Northamptonshire, Vol.3:
Listing NGR: TL0857682857
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.