British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Andrew, Collyweston

Description: Church of St Andrew

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232904

OS Grid Reference: SK9960702885
OS Grid Coordinates: 499607, 302885
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6146, -0.5303

Location: Back Lane, Collyweston, Northamptonshire PE9 3PW

Locality: Collyweston
Local Authority: East Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE9 3PW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Collyweston sundial, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Collyweston, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SK 9902 (North side)
8/39 Church of St. Andrew


Church. C11. C13-C15 restored 1857. Regular coursed and squared coursed
limestone with ashlar dressings and limestone ashlar porch and tower. Lead and
Collyweston slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south chapel, north aisle, south porch
and west tower. North elevation of chancel is of 2-window range of 2-light
square-head windows; head of left window is restored. Evidence of large C11
squared coursed blocks and later regular coursed rubble. Gabled roof with
Collyweston slates and ashlar gable parapet. 3-light east window of chancel has
4-centred arch-head and hollow reveals. Wail is part banded with regular coursed
rubble and squared coursed limestone. East window of south chapel has a similar
3-light window. Gables of south chapel and chancel are flush, with a central
gargoyle. South elevation of south chapel is a 2-window range of 2-light
square-head windows with arch-head lights. 2-stage buttresses between windows.
Gabled roof with Collyweston slates and ashlar gable parapets. C19 gabled porch
to west wall of south chapel. North aisle of 2 window-range of 3-light windows,
restored C19, with 4-centred arch-heads. North doorway, to right, has chamfered
stone surround with 4-centred arch-head. 2-stage clasping buttresses at corners
and central 2-stage buttress between windows. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar
parapet and remains of gargoyles to far left and right. 3-light east and west
windows with 4-centred arch-heads. One-window range of chancel, to left of south
elevation of south chapel, has a 2-light window with Y-tracery. South elevation
of nave is a 3-window range with two, 3-light, square-head, windows with
cusping, to lower centre and right. Three 2-light clerestory windows have
4-centred arch-heads. 2-stage ashlar buttresses between lower windows and to
right corner. Lower section of wall, to centre and right, is squared coursed
limestone, other is regular coursed. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar
parapets. 2 rainwater heads, one with initials WH/CW and partially legible C19
date. North elevation of clerestory is similar, restored C19. Perpendicular
gabled porch breaks forward from left bay of south elevation of nave. Ashlar
facade and regular coursed side walls. Outer doorway has double-chamfered
4-centred arch-head and semi-circular responds. Inner doorway has ogee-head with
crochets and flanking pinnacles and continuous hollow moulding enriched with
paterae. Above are the arms of William Porter. 2-stage clasping buttresses at
corners and castellated parapet with finial. Gabled roof with Collyweston
slates. Perpendicular west tower of 3 stages with subdivision and plinth to the
lower stages. West doorway has moulded stone surround and 4-centred arch-head,
3-light window, above, has 4-centred arch-head and hollow reveals. Single-light
window in west face of second stage. 2-light bell chamber openings, to each face
of upper stage, have 4-centred arch-heads, transoms and hollow reveals. Shallow
corner pilasters terminate as octagonal crocketed pinnacles with castellated
parapets between. Interior: late C15 two bay nave arcade of Perpendicular
double-chamfered arches. Central pier has continuous chamfer, to nave and aisle,
and semi-circular responds facing into arch. Hollowed and moulded chancel arch
with polygonal responds, and double-chamfered tower arch with semi-circular
responds. Double-chamfered arch, from chancel to south chapel, has polygonal
responds. 2-light, square-head, windows now internal, between chancel and south
chapel. Of single-light window above, with semi-circular head, is now blocked.
CIQ roof structures. C19 furnishings with elaborate poppy heads. C13 octagonal
font. Stained glass: Cl9 and early C20 stained glass to chancel east and south
windows; lower south windows of nave and 2 west windows and east window of north
aisle. Clock mechanism in tower is said to have come from Collyweston Palace,
the date 1779 probably refers to a repair. Memorials: oval tablet to left of
altar is dated 1615 and has latin inscription. C19 wall tablet to south wall of
chancel, Lady Margret Beaufort may have been responsible for the late C15 south
chapel (Countess of Richmond, who lived at Collyweston Palace).
Buildings of England:Northamptonshire: p154; RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Narthamptonshire: p31)

Listing NGR: SK9960702885

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.