British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter, Deene

Description: Church of St Peter

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232932

OS Grid Reference: SP9519092748
OS Grid Coordinates: 495190, 292748
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5243, -0.5984

Location: Deene, Northamptonshire NN17 3EW

Locality: Deene
Local Authority: East Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: NN17 3EW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Deene, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

14/67 Church of St. Peter


Church, now redundant. C13. Restored and chancel rebuilt 1868-69 by Sir Matthew
Digby Wyatt also work of 1890 by G,F, Bodley. Squared coursed limestone and
limestone ashlar with lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel,
chapels, south transept, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel
is one blank bay; the south chapel and trancept project over the other 2 bays.
Gabled roof with Collyweston slates, plain parapets with corbel table and gable
parapet with finial. Large 5-light east window with mouchettes, circle and
cusping. Small circular opening above: Flanking 3-stage clasping buttresses with
gablets, Carved heads decorating the gablats and window label stops. North
alevation of the chancel is a similar blank bay. South aisle and south chapel of
6 bays.Bay to far right is blank with a 2-stage clasping buttress at the
cornet-. Adjacent bay breaks forward as south transepts tiff three-light south
window and 2-stage clasping buttresses at corners. Shallow gabled roof with
ashlar parapets and finial. 3-window range of south aisle of tall 2- and 3 light
windows with 4-centred arch-heads. Windows to centre and left are partly C14
other is C19. Lean-to roof continuous with south chapel with plain ashlar
parapets. C19 three-light east window to south chapel has geometrical tracery
and ogee-head. C14 two-light west window to south aisle has hollow reveals. C19
gabled porch breaks forward to left of centre. Moulded inner and outer doorways
both with one order of shafts and carved label stops. Carved plaque with cross
keys above outer arch. Ashlar gable parapets and finial. 2-light square-head
windows to return walls. North aisle and north chapel of 7-window range.
2-window range of north chapel vestry is of C19 three-light windows with
geometrical tracery and carved corbel stops. Priest door to far left also has
carved label steps. 5 window range of north aisle is of a C14 two-light windows
with ogees and spin. Some tracery restored C19 all have carved label stops.
North aisle and north chapel-vestry have separate lean-to roofs with plain
ashlar parapets. C19 three-light east window to north aisle is similar to south
windows. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of C19 square-head windows. Gabled
roof with Collyweston slates, plain ashlar parapets and gable parapet with
finial, C13 west tower of stages. 3-stage clasping buttress to north-west
corner. 2-stage angle buttress, with secondary single-stage buttress, to north
and south-east corners. Shallow 2-stage buttress to south-west corner is else
the stair turret and has aDulding to corner of upper stage, West doorway has
2-centered arch-head with roll mouldings, nail head decoration and 2 orders of
shafts. Plain lancet window above and similar windows to north and west faces of
second stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage have one
order of shafts central polygonal shaft, quatrefoil circle above and single
chamfered 2-centred arch-head. Corbel table above, with plain ashlar parapet.
Set back, ashlar, broach spire with roll mouldings at the angles. 2 tiers of
lucarne at alternate laces. Lower tier has a lower opening with a trefoil head
and on upper opening with 2 orders of shafts, central shaft and trefoil above.
Interior; 4-bay nave arcade of C13 double chamfered arches, largely
reconstructed C19. Circular piers and semi-circular responds. The west responds
apex to be original. C19 moulded and chamfered chancel arch with marble cluster
shaft responds supported on a carved corbels. Double-chamfered tower arch also
with carved corbels. Double-chamfered and molded arches, between aisles and
chapels, have plain responds. C14 two-bay chancel arcade with moulded arches,
central pier with marble shafts and cluster shaft responds similar to chancel
arch.C14 roll moulded-arch, from south chapel to transept. C19 roof structures,
the chancel roof is barrel vaulted with painted wooden panels. The chancel walls
have stencil decoration by Bodley. C19 iron railings, with stone base, between
nave and chancel and chancel, south aisle and south chapel. C19 piscina and
triple sedilia to right of alter has trefoil heads and crocketed gables. Similar
niche to left of altar. Chancel floor tiles by Maws. C19 brass candle brackets
in chancel and brass communion rail. Stained glass: east window by Lavers,
Barrand and Westlake c.1868. C19 stained glass to south chapel and transept
windows, 2 windows of north aisle and one window ,if south aisle; the latter is
by Anning and Bell c.1919.C19 octagonal font. C19 pink marble pulpit. South
chapel reredos c.1635, three carved medallions depicting the Heart of Jesus,
vines and chalice. Monuments; matrices for brass in floor of south aisle and
Brudenell monuments, all in south chapel and adjacent transept. Sir Robert
Brudenell died 1531 and 2 wives, 3 recumbent alabaster effigies on a sarcophagus
with balusters and quatrefoil panels. Brasses to Edmund Brudenell d.1585: Sir
Thomas Brudenell , d.1549; John Brudenell, d.1606; Edmund Brudenell, d.1652 and
Robert d.1549. Three arch-head recesses to south and east walls; one has Ionic
pilasters with cartouche and oblisks over, one other has Doric pilasters. Chest
tomb used as altar has 3 shields in panels. Thomas Brudenell, d.1664; small open
fronted chest tomb at base of chancel pier, arch-head openings with Ionic
pilasters. Anne Duchess of Richmond, d.1722 by Guelfi, west wall of transept;
bust set against square surround with flanking caryatids, metope frieze and
pediment over. Countess of Cardigan, d.1826 by Sievier, decorated wall tablet.
Seventh Earl of Cardigan, d.1868 and wife, by Sir J.E. Boehm, recumbent effigies
on sarcophagus, bronze sea horses at the bottom corners. Various other C19 and
C20 tablets to Brudenell family in south chapel and south aisle. Lord Robert
Brudenell-Bruce, d.1912 and wife, wall tablet incorporating reset stone
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire; p176)

Listing NGR: SP9519092748

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.