If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



Church of St Mary, Duddington-with-Fineshade

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232955

OS Grid Reference: SK9877400884
OS Grid Coordinates: 498774, 300884
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5968, -0.5432

Location: Todd's Hill, Duddington, Northamptonshire PE9 3QG

Locality: Duddington-with-Fineshade
Local Authority: East Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE9 3QG

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Duddington-with-Fineshade, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

DUDDINGTON CHURCH STREET
SK9800 (North side)
9/90 Church of St. Mary
23/05/67
GV II*
Church. Mid and late C12, C13, C14, chancel rebuilt and church restored c.1844
by Bryan Browning. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone, part rendered,
with lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, south parch, north
vestry and south-east tower. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of C19
lancet windows with 2-stage buttress between; similar buttress at corner. Gabled
roof with Collyweston slates and ashlar parapet with finial. C19 three-light
east window set in a plate surround with shafts. Shallow flanking buttresses and
buttress below the window are from the original chancel. C19 quatrefoil circle
in apex of gable. North elevation of chancel of 4 bays, 3-window range of lancet
windows, all similar to south elevation. Bay to far right is blank. 2-stage
buttresses between bays. South aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range of 3- and 4-light
square head windows. 3-light window, to left, has transom with castellations.
Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. The south wall of the aisle is rendered.
C14 gabled porch breaking forward from centre bay has single-chamfered outer
doorway with 2-centred arch-head and polygonal responds. Inner doorway is late
C12 with retrains of 2 orders of shafts with waterleaf capitals and 2-centred
arch-head with roll moulding. Plank door with 4 large strap hinges. Ashlar gable
parapets and 2-light square-head window on return wall. West elevation of south
aisle is blank. North aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range of 3-light square-head
windows with moulded surrounds and hood moulds. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable
parapet. C19 gabled vestry breaks forward from centre bay. Each face has
single-light windows with cusped treads. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar
parapets. 2-light east window has quatrefoil circle. West elevation of north
aisle is blank. West elevation of nave has large central lancet with flanking
C19 two-stage buttresses. Moulded string causes, below parapet, follows the line
of the gable end. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light square-head
windows. Those on the north side have plate surround and those on the south side
have plate surround with raised moulding and carved label stops. Shallow gabled
roof with castellated ashlar parapet. South-east tower is attached to east end
of south aisle. Late C12 base with C13 upper stages. 2-stage ashlar angle
buttresses to corners of lower 2 stages. Late C12 south doorway has chamfered
surround with semi-circular head. Single-light windows, with similar heads,
above and to lower stage of east face. Lancet window, to south face of second
stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings, to each face of upper stage, have
2-centred outer arch and central column, parts restored C19. Short, ashlar,
broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes; each with central shaft similar to bell
chamber openings. C17 inscribed tablets to Wyles family set in base of vestry;
similar C19 tablets alongside. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade. Centre and east bay
of north arcade are mid C12 semi-circular arches with roll moulded underside and
zig-zag decoration to both faces of outer angle. Central, circular, pier with
square scalloped abaci. Similar responds, with nook shafts, facing into the
nave. West arch is late C12/early C13. Double-chamfered semi-circular arch
with semi-circular responds. The pier between this bay and the other 2 bays is
formed from 2 responds. South arcade is also probably late C12/early C13.
Double-chamfered, semi-circular, arch with semi-circular responds. The pier
between this bay and the other 2 bays is formed from 2 responds. Soutn arcade is
also probably late C12/early C13, double-chartered arches with circular piers
and semi-circular responds. East pier and respond have waterleaf capitals.
Double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Triple-chamfered tower
arches from south aisle and chancel. Arch into chancel has cluster shaft respond
and arch into south aisle has half bracket respond, to north, and part cluster
shaft to south. Nave and north aisle roofs have some original timbers. Other
roofs are C19. Trefoil head piscina to soutn wall of south aisle; fragment of
rood loft stair in south wall of north aisle. C13 octagonal font supported on
octagonal base with Y polygonal shafts C18 communion rail with turned
balusters. Stained glass: C19 east window. Pews to west of nave and north aisle
incorporate some C17 panelling. Other pews, with doors, are of 1844. Monuments:
William Jackson, d.1792, inscribed tablet to south wall of chancel, probably
reset. Thomes Jackson, d.1792, inscribed marble tablet to north wall of chancel.
Various C19 and C20 inscribed tablets to Goddard-Jackson family who live at
Duddington Manor
Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p194;RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p44)


Listing NGR: SK9877400884

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |