If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Date Listed: 3 May 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 234638
OS Grid Reference: SP6740057311
OS Grid Coordinates: 467400, 257311
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2099, -1.0150
Explore more of the area around Bugbrooke, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.
BUGBROOKE CHURCH LANE
SP6757 (South side)
12/8 Church of St. Michael and All
(Formerly listed as Church of
Church. C13 to C15. Chancel rebuilt, south chancel aisle added, and whole church
restored and reseated 1890 by E. de Wilde Holding. Chancel, choir vestry and
organ chamber in south chancel aisle, north chancel chapel and vestry, nave,
aisles, north and south porches, west tower. Coursed squared ironstone and
limestone, and coursed rubble, ironstone dressings, lead roofs, except for
plain-tile roof to chancel. 2-bay chancel has 5-light east window with C19
curvilinear tracery flanked by offset buttresses. White marble wall monument
below sill to Samuel Whitfield, patron of living and benefactor, d.1734 with
coat of arms and ironstone hood-mould carved with helmet above arms. 2-light
reset Decorated east windows to vestries either side. Similar windows flank
re-set priest's door to south with stepped round-arched head and imposts.
Limestone panel above, with Whitfield coat of arms. Vestry door to north with
hood mould and 3-light window to north-west with ogee-headed lights and straight
head. Nave has 4-bay clerestory with 3-light straight-headed windows, those to
north-west and south-west with pointed cinquefoil-headed lights; lead rainwater
heads, those to south dated 1808. North aisle has ogee-moulded north doorway
with 4-centred head in chamfered stone surround with straight head; C19 gabled
porch. 2- and 3-light straight-headed windows to east of porch, coupled lancet
window to west. South aisle has similar 2- and 3-light windows to south and
west. Two fine early C18 gargoyle heads. Many-moulded south door with hood mould
in C19 south porch with 2-light windows either side with Y-tracery. 3-stage west
tower has west door with chamfered stone surround and lintel. 2-light window
above with renewed Decorated tracery. Clock face to north with moulded stone
surround. One-light windows to ground floor and middle stage south with cusped
ogee hood-mould. 2-light Decorated bell-chamber openings with quatrefoils to
heads. Battlemented parapet with pinnacles to angles and recessed spire with 2
tiers of lucarnes. Masonry of tower banded with limestone; diagonal buttresses.
All windows have hood moulds. Interior: chancel has double-chamfered arch to
north chancel chapel, innermost on corbels. C19 3-bay arcade to south chancel
aisle. Double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. South chancel
chapel has small piscina with pointed hollow-chamfered arch and 2-light C13 east
window, now internal, which has Y-tracery with nailhead decoration and
hollow-chamfered jambs and mullion. Nave has C13 4-bay arcades, that to south
earlier with round piers, semi-circular responds, moulded capitals, 2 with
stiff-leaf foliage and chamfered arches. Octagonal piers to north with polygonal
responds, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. Triple-chamfered tower
arch with polygonal responds and moulded capitals. Octagonal font, C15. C15 rood
screen with ribbed coving and Perpendicular tracery. Painted Glass panel in
north aisle window of Christ carrying Cross signed C.L. Gray 1827. Stained-glass
east window c.1900, C19 stained glass window in tower, other stained glass
windows of c.1900 to aisles. Monuments: brass plate to John Wyatt, d.1658. White
marble wall monument either side of altar, that to right dated 1704 to Alicia
Whitfield d.1617 and other members of same family, with coat of arms and
flanking volutes. That to left to Anne Whitfield, d.l711 and to her husband
Samuel, d.1734, in garlanded cartouche topped by urn with flame finial and coat
of arms. Wall monument to Reverend Samuel Kenton, d.1753, and his wife d.1747,
erected by their only child Catherine; of coloured marbles with obelisk
background, coloured cartouche of arms and signed Henry Cox, Northampton.
Similar wall monument to Catherine and Reverend Francis Reynesford, d.1785, with
urn finial and cherub's head below. Similar wall monument to James Wassen,
d.1797. Other C19 wall monuments.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, 1973, p.129; D. Peet, A Brief History
and Architectural Description of the Parish Church of St. Michael and All Angels
at Bugbrooke, 1970).
Listing NGR: SP6740057311
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.