If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Luke
Date Listed: 3 May 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 234723
OS Grid Reference: SP6972159655
OS Grid Coordinates: 469721, 259655
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2307, -0.9806
Explore more of the area around Kislingbury, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.
KISLINGBURY HIGH STREET
SP65NE (West side)
4/94 Church of St. Luke
Church. C14, restored c.1700 with some alterations, tower restored 1717, spire
rebuilt 1926, body of church restored and vestry added 1829-30; other C20
restorations. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone, ironstone and limestone
dressings, slate roofs except for lead roofs to aisles. Chancel, vestry, nave,
north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has fine
Decorated 5-light east window with intersecting ogee tracery and quatrefoils and
3-light windows north and south with similar tracery; many-moulded priest's door
to south with hood mould and head stops. Vestry to north has gabled roof and
panelled door with stop-chamfered lintel to west. 3-light leaded casement west
window with stop-chamfered wood lintel, similar 2-light east window, chamfered
plinth, stone eaves and stone-coped gable with kneelers. Aisles have 2-light
Decorated windows to west with reticulated tracery and 3-light straight-headed
windows north and south with chamfered stone mullions and no tracery, probably
of c.1700. North door has sunk quadrant moulding, fleurons and hood mould with
head stops. South door has 6-panel double-leaf doors to many-moulded doorway
with ball-flowers and fleurons and hood mould with head stops. C15 south porch
has chamfered doorway with 4-centred head and hood mould and 2-light
Perpendicular windows east and west with straight heads. stone in gable
inscribed with churchwarden's names and date 1747 and another below of red
sandstone recording "thorough and complete repair in the years 1829 and 1830".
3-stage west tower has west door with chamfered jambs and lintel inscribed with
churchwarden's names and date 1717 and 2-light window above with Y-tracery.
2-light bell-openings with Y-tracery. Diagonal oofset buttresses, battlemented
parapet with corner pinnacles and recessed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes.
Chancel has offset angle buttresses and offset buttress between bays to south.
Deep chamfered plinth string course at sill level with fleurons, plain
stone-coped parapets and fleuron frieze to south side of chancel at eaves level.
All windows except those to vestry have hood moulds, most with head stops.
Interior: canopies of former statues flank east window. Piscina with cusped ogee
head, hood mould, head stops and finial. Sedilia with seats separated by shafts
with foliage capitals, triangular cinquefoiled heads; crocketed hood mould with
head stops and foliage finial to west seat. Fine door to vestry with leaf
trails, fleurons and hood mould with head stops. Chamfered chancel arch on head
corbels. Nave has 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded bases and
capitals, double sunk chamfered arches and head corbel responds. Piscina in
south aisle with cusped ogee hood, hood mould and crocketed pinnacles either
side. Plaster ceilings to nave chancel and aisles. Octagonal font with fleurons
in quatrefoils to sides and to underside of bowl and panelled stem, Chest of
c.1500 with blind arcading and big rosettes. C18 16-broach brass chandelier with
dove finial. Monuments: alabaster wall monument with slate inscription to Rev.
John Perkins, d.1728, flanked by panelled pilasters, carved apron and urns with
flame finials, signed John Hunt, Northampton. Veined marble wall monument to
John Jephcott, d.1743, and Reverend Henry Jephcott, d.1798, and her husband,
d.1801. Early and mid C19 wall monuments with white marble inscriptions on black
marble ground, 2 signed Whiting Northampton.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.283 and 284; Kelly's Directory for
Northamptonshire, 1928; vestry door illustrated in J.H. Parker, "An Introduction
to Gothic Architecture", many editions from 1849, fig.140).
Listing NGR: SP6972159655
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.