British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary the Virgin, Stoke Bruerne

Description: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 17 May 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 234978

OS Grid Reference: SP7406849838
OS Grid Coordinates: 474068, 249838
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1419, -0.9191

Location: Church Lane, Stoke Bruerne, Northamptonshire NN12 7SA

Locality: Stoke Bruerne
Local Authority: South Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: NN12 7SA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Stoke Bruerne, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(North side)
13/158 Church of St. Mary the virgin
17/05/60 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Mary)


Church. C14 and C15 with late C12 origins; restored 1853 by E. F, Law, vestry
and organ chamber and alterations to chancel by E. Swinfen Harris 1879, further
restoration of 1901. Coursed squared limestone; lead and copper roofs. Chancel,
vestry and organ chamber, aisled nave, north and south porches and west tower.
3-bay chancel has 3-light Perpendicular east window, 2-light windows to south
with Y-tracery and trefoil to heads, and chamfered priest's door to south, all
with hood moulds. Plain stone-coped parapet of ironstone and fine limestone east
gable cross probably of 1879 and designed by E. Swinfen Harris. Vestry and
organ-chamber to north has 3-light east window with straight head and
ogee-arched lights, low gable to north and hollow-chamfered stone eaves.
External covered stairway of 1879 on north side of chancel leads to rood screen
gallery door inside church and has blocked hollow-chamfered door with 4-centred
head and hood mould and 3 stepped 1-light windows with cusped and
hollow-chamfered stone surrounds with ogee-arched heads. Nave has 4-bay
clerestory of circular windows with moulded stone surrounds and plain
ironstone-coped parapet. Stone dated 1594 to middle of parapet to south side,
probably recording date of repair or rebuilding. North aisle has 3-light east
window with reticulated tracery, and similar 2-light windows to north and west,
all with hood moulds. North door has narrow hollow chamfer and wide inner wave
moulding and hood mould. North porch doorway has hollow chamfer, sunk quadrant
moulding and hood mould with label stops. 1-light window to either side of porch
with cusped light, cut spandrels, straight head and hood mould. South aisle has
similar windows to north aisle, except for 3-light east window with Curvilinear
tracery, quatrefoil to head and hood mould. Many-moulded south door with hood
mould in gabled porch with chamfered doorway and chamfered inner arch on corbels
and hood mould. Both aisles have hollow-chamfered stone eaves and diagonal
offset buttresses. 3-stage tower has small Tudor-arched west door and 2-light
Decorated window above, and similar larger bell-chamber openings all with
quatrefoils to head and hood moulds. Small 1-light round-headed windows to
middle stage west and south. Battlemented parapet and set-back offset
buttresses. Gargoyles to middle of north and south sides. Interior: chancel has
cusped hollow-chamfered piscina, double-chamfered doorway to vestry with hood
mould and label stops and C19 door with fine ornamental hinges. South door has
fine C14 foliage finials of former hood mould or reset. Tie-beam roof largely
C19 with wall-posts on moulded stone corbels and curved bracing to ties and
wall-plate. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave has 5-bay arcades with high
moulded bases, double-chamfered piers and arches and thin capital mouldings.
North aisle has cusped ogee-arched piscina and tomb recess with many-moulded
arch, pierced cusping and hood mould. Squint between chancel and south aisle,
which also has cusped moulded piscina. Plain image brackets to left of east
windows to both aisles. Single-stepped pointed tower arch of c.1200. Good Cl9
tiled floors to nave and chancel. Font has octagonal plinth, stem and tapered
bowl. Rood screen Perpendicular with 1-light ogee-arched divisions and panel
tracery above. Communion rail, C17 with fat turned balusters now used as stall
fronts. Reredos of 1879 designed by Swinfen Harris with polyptych altarpiece
panel, probably painted by Nathanial Westlake. Monuments. Wall monument with
brass to Richard Lightfoot, d.1625, in pilastered limestone surround with apron
and hour-glass to finial. Wall monument resembling small hatchment, with coat of
arms and inscription to Jane Nailour, d. January 1655/6, daughter and sole heir
of Robert Wicken; oil on canvas. Wall monument to Mrs. Mary Arundell, d.1676,
recording her gift of £50 for communion plate and the same towards 'beautifying
and repairing' the church; oil on board. Wall monument to Anna, wife of Francis
Arundell, d.1674, with bolection-moulded slate surround to marble inscription
panel. Veined marble wall monument to Reverend William Rolfe, d.1693. Wall
monument to John Blackburn, d.1719, with bolection-moulded stone surround
painted black. Wall monument signed Middleton, Towcester, to John Smith,
merchant in London, d.1768, erected by his executers in memory of his parents
sister and uncle. Limestone with slate inscription panel flanked by ornamental
volutes and with large urn finial. Veined marble wall monument to Reverend
Joseph Tordiff, d.1775, with urn finial. Wall monument to members of Vernon
family beginning with Henrietta Vernon, d.1796; oil on board.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p415; Illustrated Notes on St.
Mary the Virgin (guide) 1975)

Listing NGR: SP7406849838

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.