British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Andrew, Yardley Hastings

Description: Church of St Andrew

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 3 May 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 235575

OS Grid Reference: SP8661657063
OS Grid Coordinates: 486616, 257063
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2050, -0.7339

Location: Church Lane, Yardley Hastings, Northamptonshire NN7 1ER

Locality: Yardley Hastings
Local Authority: South Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: NN7 1ER

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

SP8657 (East side)
17/175 Church of St. Andrew


Church. C13 and C14. Restored 1883-1889 by George Sutherland, including
rebuilding of aisles and new nave roof. Further C20 restorations. Coursed
limestone rubble, limestone and ironstone dressings, lead and plain-tile roofs.
Chancel, aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 3-bay chancel has 4-light east
window with reticulated tracery and 2-light windows to south with straight heads
and ogee-arched heads to lights, all with hood moulds and label stops renewed
C20, That to south-west has lower portion, blocked below transom. Chamfered
priest's doorway to south with old plank door. Nave has 5-window clerestory of
2-light windows with straight heads, ogee-arched heads to lights and hood
moulds. North aisle has 2-light windows to north with straight heads,
ogee-arched heads to lights and hood moulds, and similar 3-light windows to east
and west ends. South aisle has similar 2- and 3-light windows. Restored double
hollow-chamfered north door with hood mould. Single-stepped and hollow-chamfered
south doorway, with medieval ridged and studded plank door, probably C14, with
original hinges, brattished cross-piece at level of springing of arch, cusped
arch mouldings and scalloped top. C19 porch with double-chamfered doorway and
paired cusped chamfered 1-light windows to east and west sides. 3-stage west
tower has small plank door to north-east in pegged wood surround with overlight
divided by plain wood mullion, one half glazed with diamond-leaded panes, and
wood lintel. Pilaster buttress to middle of west side. 1-light windows to middle
stage south and west. Twin nook-shafted bell-chamber openings with central shaft
and round-headed lights, framed by rounded-headed arch. Worn dog-tooth ornament
to heads of lights of south and east bell-chamber openings. A single 1-light
window with round head to east of south bell-chamber opening. Original early C13
corbel table and C15 battlemented parapet. Diagonal off-set buttresses to west
angles. Interior: chancel has much restored ogee-arched sedilia and piscina.
Nave has 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals, corbels
either end of arcades and double-chamfered arches. South aisle has pointed
trefoil-headed piscina and image brackets either side of east window, that to
left with carved head, that to right with foliage. C19 Communion Table supported
by Elizabethan or Jacobean Ionic terms probably belonging to original communion
rail. Large brass chandelier hanging in nave, presented 1808 by Reverend George
Rooke and signed Cocks and Son, Birmingham with 10 branches in 2 tiers, ormolu
rococo flame finial and rise and fall mechanism. Another smaller 6-branch
chandelier in south aisle with similar mechanism; probably part of same gift.
Royal arms of George III, oil on board. 2 funeral hatchments, oil on board, one
with Compton arms, the other with arms of Reverend George Rooke, d,1856, Early
C20 stain-glass windows to chancel and south aisle. Monuments: wall monument of
white marble with slate inscription panel to John Wilson d.1695. Latin
inscription is flanked by volutes and topped by swans neck pediment and
cartouche of arms. Wall monument to Reverend Humfrey Betty d.l737 and his wife
Dorothy d.1717 with veined grey marble apron and lamp with flame finial. Veined
grey marble wall monument to William Underwood d.1760, postmaster of Oxford,
Witney and Burford "who by care and industry acquired/An handsom Furtune/which
he by will divided amongst his/Poor Relations./Being born in this Parish/It was
his dying request/To be buried near the Rails/In this Chancel". Apron and lamp
finial. Veined white marble wall monument to Reverend Edward Lye d.1767 signed
by William Co of Northampton. Apron and pediment, upright oval inscription
panel and bracket in front bearing book, quill and inkwell. Wall monument of
white marble on grey marble ground to George Rooke d.1807, erected by his
father, rector of this parish. Apron with martial trophy and arms and urn
finial. Other early-mid C19 wall monuments. The architect for the restoration of
the church, George Sutherland, was clerk of the works to the Castle Ashby
estate. The work was carried out by the estate at the expense of 4th Marquis of
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p471; VCH; Northamptonshire: Vol
IV: 1937, pp298-300; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire: 1932; Parish
records deposited in Northamptonshire Record Office)

Listing NGR: SP8661657063

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.