Description: Pair of Chapels in Cowpen Cemetery
Date Listed: 15 July 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 236002
OS Grid Reference: NZ3009881841
OS Grid Coordinates: 430098, 581841
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1300, -1.5295
BLYTH COWPEN ROAD
NZ 38 SW
2/38 Pair of chapels
in Cowpen Cemetery
Cemetery Chapels, c.1875. Tooled stone with ashlar dressings; roof of mixed
Welsh and Lakeland slates with terracotta ridge. Free C14 style. North
elevation in 3 parts: central porch with tall moulded arch, stepped diagonal
buttresses and corner pinnacles linked by flying buttresses to octagonal
turret with spire, rising from crown of arch. To left and right gable ends
of chapels, with 3-light windows and trefoiled panels in gables, joined to
porch by lower lobbies with cinquefoil-headed windows and parapets with
pierced quatrefoils. Returns of chapels each 3 bays, with lancet windows;
lower bay with 2-light window to rear of each chapel, linked by C20 crematorium
in same style.
Immediately left and right of porch entrance, standing just clear of wall,
small flat-topped stones with incised C (left) and U (right).
Cowpen Cemetery, with chapels for 'Church of England and Dissenters' was
opened in 1877.
Listing NGR: NZ3009881841
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.