Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 21 October 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 236096
OS Grid Reference: NT9240105777
OS Grid Coordinates: 392401, 605777
Latitude/Longitude: 55.3460, -2.1214
ALWINTON LOW ALWINTON
NT 90 NW
14/10 Church of St.Michael
Parish church. Chancel, north aisle wall, east end of nave and lower part of
south transept C12. The rest largely rebuilt 1851 by Pickering. Dressed and
snecked stone. Welsh and Scottish slate roofs.
Nave with west bellcote, and aisles, chancel with north vestry, south transept.
West end has 2 tall lancets and smaller lancets to aisles. 3-bay nave has
pointed-arched south doorway and lancet windows. Clerestory has 2-light windows
with shouldered lintels.
Chancel has priest's door With renewed shouldered lintel. One original C12
south window, one 2-light Decorated window with original tracery, and 2 'low side'
lancet windows. C19 Decorated east window.
Transept has cross-shaped carving in gable, dated TSA 1672 for Thomas and Ann
Interior: Probably original but re-cut C13 north arcade with ocatagonal piers
and double-chamfered pointed arches. South arcade and chancel arch are of 1851.
10 steps up to chancel which has crypt below, now vault of Clennel family.
Chancel: shouldered rend arches to low side windows. Deeply-splayed reveals to
C12 south window. The Decorated window.has pointed rere arch. C13 or C14 piscina
in pointed-arched recess.
Plain round font on thick round stem with moulded base, probably C12 or C13.
Two table tombs in north aisle both with finely inscribed marble tops. One is of
1701/2 to Thomas Clennel. The other of 1745 has moulded side panels with
excellent angel and memento mori. South aisle: Percival Clennel, 1796 by
Jobling of Gateshead.
Northumberland County History : Vol. 14.
Listing NGR: NT9240105777
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.