Description: Dunstan Hall
Date Listed: 1 September 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 236938
OS Grid Reference: NU2482220114
OS Grid Coordinates: 424822, 620114
Latitude/Longitude: 55.4742, -1.6089
NU 22 SW CRASTER DUNSTAN
3/48 Dunstan Hall
House. Base of turret may be part of pre-1300 house of Dunstans; main block
rebuilt in early C14 for Wetwang family; south wall rebuilt and turret raised
in C15; C16 or early C17 remodelling when west end of main block rebuilt,
east end extended and stair wing built; south front refenestrated and east
extension removed mid-C17; alterations including new north-west wing c.1706;
restoration 1939 by H.L. Honeyman for Mrs Ursula Merz including rebuilding of
north-west wing. Lower part of turret large roughly-shaped whinstone; east
and north walls of main block and upper part turret large squared stone; south
wall main block heavy rubble; west end main block and stair wing whinstone
rubble; north wing squared stone; cut sandstone quoins and dressings. Pantile
roofs with stone slates to eaves on stair wing. Plan; main block has south-
west turret, central stair wing on north and L-plan north-west wing.
South elevation in 2 sections. Main block, to right, 2 storeys 4 bays. Half-
glazed door in second bay in chamfered surround with hoodmould and worn lintel
inscription including possible 1652 date; narrow 6-pane casement immediately
to right. To left 12-pane fixed window in chamfered surround with hoodmould,
in right bays two 12-pane sashes in openings with narrow moulded surrounds,
sills and cornices. 1st-floor windows are 15-pane sashes in similar openings
(except for smaller 12-pane sash on left in reduced opening). Coped right
gable on moulded kneeler; stepped old brick ridge and right end stacks on
stone bases. To left is 3-storey turret with small loops, those to upper
floors chamfered; monopitch roof with crowstepped end copings. Turret right
return shows blocked lst-floor doorway with lintel dated 1705 (largely hidden
by ivy) and small casement window; at 2nd-floor level doorway with timber
lintel and inserted casement, above large whinstone corbels which probably
carried garderobe seat. Right return shows blocked C14 lancets to ground and
1st floor, and small blocked loop 1st floor left; to right 3 blocked chamfered
doorways to former east extension, the upper two with paired casement windows
West elevation in two parts. To right is the old house: Gabled end of main
block has 2-light and 3-light mullioned windows with leaded glazing and
hoodmoulds to ground floor and attic, and 15-pane sash in bolection-moulded
surround on 1st floor; turret on far right has 4-pane casement in chamfered
surround to 1st floor and chamfered set-back at 2nd floor level, with small
casement window above. Left 1939 wing; right part has 3 large ground floor
windows with date panel above centre, and four 1st-floor windows in alternating-
block surrounds. Left-of-centre stepped ridge stack. Slightly-projecting
gabled left end bay has rusticated quoins and 16-pane sash windows; attic slit
under coped gable on moulded kneelers.
North elevation: Main block shows 8-pane Yorkshire sash ground floor left and
12-pane sash in enlarged C17 window, formerly of 2 lights, at 1st floor right.
Extruded pent porch with boarded door and 4-pane casement on left return.
Right gabled stair wing with mullioned windows on both floors, the lower
partly concealed by 1939 wing. Inner return of L-plan 1939 part shows
vertical-panelled door in chamfered 4-centred doorway from original north-west
1939 wing also re-uses quoins, gable kneelers and coping and window surrounds
from Gloster Hill, in Warkworth parish.
Interior: Ground floor of main block has early C18 panelled room with
bolection-moulded fireplace, arched half-glazed cupboard door, moulded dado
rail and cornice. Dining room has C17 chamfered fireplace. Base of turret
has arched vault, possibly an insertion. Stone winder stair. First floor
has remains of early C18 panelling in one room, Re-used from Gloster Hill
are three C17 fireplaces (one in 1939 wing and two in main block) and 3
jointed upper-cruck roof trusses in 1939 wing.
H.L. Honeyman, 'Dunstan Hall or Proctor's Stead', Arch. Aeliana 4th ser.
XVII 39-53 (1940).
Listing NGR: NU2482220114
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.