Description: Church of St Anne
Date Listed: 22 December 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 237861
OS Grid Reference: NU0022645177
OS Grid Coordinates: 400226, 645177
Latitude/Longitude: 55.7001, -1.9980
NU 04 NW
7/8 Church of St. Anne
Parish church. Nave C12. West end raised into a tower C13. Restored 1836
and again in 1870 when the nave was extended, the chancel rebuilt and the
door and windows replaced. Tower restored 1886. Squared stone; Welsh slate
roof. Romanesque style. Chancel, nave and west tower.
Nave south side is C12 as far as the mid-point buttress. Blocked south door
with 3 orders of arches, the outer order with worn beakhead, the whole set
slightly forward from wall face under a gable; an C18 sundial on the gable.
Original C12 corbel table and large buttress, formerly at south-east corner
of nave. Extended to east, new windows and new south doorway added in similar
style in 1870.
Above the corbel table the tower was raised. On the south side it has 2
lancet windows and 2 slit windows to the newel stair. On the west aide the
roof mark of the gable of the original towerless church can be seen, as can
the band where the corbel table was cut away. This side has 2 faucets and
a C12 window with shafts. The corbel table formerly continued on the north
side; one arch remains.
2-bay chancel in similar style.
Interior: the tower was built to be defensible. It has a tunnel-vaulted
ground floor blocking the C12 doorway, and a stone newel stair in the corner.
Nave and chancel entirely C19 inside. Chancel arch quite elaborate with
chevron and billet moulding. King-post roofs with arched braces resting on
stone corbels with good naturalistic carving.
F.R. Wilson: Survey of Churches in the Archdeaconry of Lindisfarne: Newcastle:
Listing NGR: NU0022645177
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.