If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 15 April 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 239927
OS Grid Reference: NY9883364433
OS Grid Coordinates: 398833, 564433
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9745, -2.0197
CORBRIDGE MARKET PLACE
NY 9864 (North side)
21/166 Church of St Andrew
Parish Church. Nave late C7 or C8, with 2-storey west porch raised into tower
in early C11. 3-phase C13 remodelling: chancel rebuilt and north nave aisle added;
north chancel aisle, south nave aisle and transepts added; south aisle widened
and north transept aisle added. belfry windows remodelled 1729; south-west vestry
1835; east lancets 1853; aisle and transept walls largely rebuilt 1867; nave
clerestorey, north vestry and organ chamber early C20; south porch 1919. Rubble
with re-used Roman material, except for squared stone of chancel and snecked stone
of C19/20 parts; Welsh slate roofs except for stone slates on south porch.
West tower shows massive quoins; C19 3-light window set in original arched doorway,
with worn saltire crosses on voussoirs of relieving arch, and round-headed window
above. Similar window above nave roof on east is the original west window of
taller Pre-Conquest nave, now incorporated in tower wall. Band below altered bell
openings with later imposts and pointed heads on old jambs. String course above;
tall crenellated parapet with blocked openings below on east and west. South porch
has clasping buttresses, moulded Romanesque arch with small arched window over,
and window of 3 round-headed lights on west. Aisle wall to east with 2 trefoil-
headed lancets; former vestry to west with metal-latticed sash and basket-arched
doorway on west. North aisle wall C19 except for west bay, former vestry or
anchorage, with tiny lancet on north and slit with lancet above on west.
Clerestorey windows of 1,2 or 3 round-headed lights. Transepts have gable ends
with triplets of renewed lancets and finial crosses. East wall of south transept
shows 3-light C13 window,with intersecting tracery, and square-headed light to
north. 4-bay chancel with chamfered and moulded plinth, buttresses with gabled
setbacks, and moulded strings at sill and window head levels. Lancets, trefoil-
headed in central bays. Inserted 2-light low-side window in first bay and
trefoil-arched priest's door in second. Similar buttresses at east end, shortened
beneath lancets. Coped gables with finial crosses. Eastern half of chancel aisle,
with trefoiled lancets, is C19;but C13 walling and 2 single-light windows (one
now hidden by organ chamber) survive further west.
Interior: south porch has ribbed segmental vault; C12 south door has round arch
of 2 chevron-moulded orders on shafts with fluted caps. Unmoulded round-headed
tower arch on moulded imposts (southern cut back) is thought to be re-set Roman
feature. 3-bay nave arcades have double-chamfered pointed arches with broach
stops and chamfered hoodmoulds, on octagonal piers with moulded capitals; over
north arcade remains of two Pre-Conquest windows. Similar 2-bay west arcade in
north transept, and double-chamfered arch to chancel aisle; similar 4-centred arch
between south transept and nave aisle. Segmental-arched tomb recess on north of
north transept with inscribed medieval slab; trefoiled piscina in south transept.
Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on double-shafted jambs cut back,with
insertion of additional lower moulded capitals,when arch widened. 4-bay north
arcade of similar form to nave arcades. Moulded sill string on south carried up
over segmental rear arch of priest's door: trefoiled piscina. Late C13 slab with
foliate cross and shears re-used as lintel of low-side. 2-bay transverse arcade
in north aisle is C20 feature carrying organ chamber wall.
Fittings and furnishings of good quality, largely late C19 or C20. Several
medieval cross slabs in paving including important inscribed example in south
transept; C17 and C18 floor stones include one of 1708 in chancel which is
medieval altar slab re-used. Good early C20 glass in south transept ('Dorcas
window') and south porch.
Northumberland County History X (1914) 178-198
H.M. & J. Taylor, 'Anglo Saxon Architecture' Vol. 1 (1965) 172-176
Listing NGR: NY9883464436
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.