Description: Church of the Holy Paraclete
Date Listed: 23 August 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 240266
OS Grid Reference: NY6993549413
OS Grid Coordinates: 369935, 549413
Latitude/Longitude: 54.8386, -2.4696
NY 64 NE KNARESDALE WITH KIRKHAUGH KIRKHAUGH
18/147 Church of the
Parish church. 1869,by the Rector,Octivius 'James On a medieval site. Squared
rubble with stone dressings, slate roof. Simple rectangular plan with small
vestry on north which has catslide roof. Stepped clasping buttresses at the
angles, each carried up to a separate pyramidal cap; steeply-pitched roof.
South wall has C14-style doorway with one lancet to the west and 3 to the east,
all with chamfered hoodmoulds. 3 similar lancets on the north. The west end
has a re-set C13 window of 2 pointed lights with a pierced quatrefoil over,
from the east end of the old church, with C19 quatrefoil window above. Gable-
end belfry on tall corbels has small pointed openings and swept octagonal
turret with gabled faces carrying a fleche. The east end, with 3 stepped
lancets above a moulded string course, carries a similar but smaller turret
with a tall finial cross. Vestry with small lancets and pointed chamfered
Interior: continuous space. The lack of fitted seating, James' intention
front the first, accentuates the height of the building. Hammerbeam roof.
Broad shouldered-arched recess opposite the south door. The eastern lancets
have moulded trefoil rear arches; these and the triple sedilia have Frosterley
marble shafts. Double-chamfered arch on heavy moulded corbels to vestry.
Octagonal bowl and base of the font are medieval; perhaps C13. Marble tablet
with urn, on the south wall, to William Randal Featherstonehaugh d. 1807.
The church is said to have been designed by the Rev. James (who also made
additions to Clarghyll Hall, Cumbria) after he had visited churches in the
Listing NGR: NY6993549413
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.