If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Serlby Hall, Blyth

Description: Serlby Hall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 4 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 241080

OS Grid Reference: SK6345589342
OS Grid Coordinates: 463455, 389342
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3971, -1.0472

Location: Blyth, Nottinghamshire DN10 6BA

Locality: Blyth
Local Authority: Bassetlaw District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN10 6BA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Blyth, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SK 68 NW BLYTH SERLBY HALL DRIVE
(south side)

2/52 Serlby Hall
4.1.52
G.V. I

Large Country House, c.1751-1777 for the 2nd Viscount Galway by
James Paine. Remodelled in 1812 by Lindley and Woodhead when the
wings were demolished, the central block extended by an addition
of 2 bays to either side and the attic raised. Early C20 east
entrance wing. Red brick and ashlar. Hipped slate roof, 6
rendered stacks. Ashlar cornice and chamfered projecting ashlar
quoins. The south front, of basement plus 2.1/2 storeys and 9
bays with single storey flanking wings, has an ashlar pediment
topping the slightly projecting central 3 bays and a 1st floor
ashlar band. The half sunk, sligtly projecting, ashlar basement
has 8 glazing bar sashes. The central doorway and portico has a
flight of steps, with single orbs at the corners of the 2nd step
up, leading to a double half-glazed door with traceried
overlight, flanked by single flat ashlar piers, single tall
fixed lights with glazing bars and single pilasters. The portico
comprises 2 pairs of Tuscan columns supporting an entablature
with wrought iron balustrade over. Either side of the doorway
are 4 glazing bar sashes each with an ashlar balustraded sill and
ashlar jambs and architrave. The single windows flanking the
doorway are plain, but are set in relieving rusticated ashlar
arches. Above are 9 glazing bar sashes. The central sash,
with ashlar surround, is set in a brick relieving arch which
rises above the attic window. Flanking the arch are single Ionic
pilasters with fluted capitals, there are further similar, single
pilasters marking the extent of the projecting bays. All 4 rest
on the 1st floor band and support the podium. The top floor has
8 smaller glazing bar sashes, the central sash having an ashlar
surround with slightly projecting hood, the sill is supported on
small ashlar brackets. To the right is a single storey brick
wing with ashlar cornice hiding the roof line. Set on a shallow
plinth with 3 glazing bar sashes in relieving arches this wing
contains the chapel. To its right is a heightened, ashlar
coped, brick wall with a horizontal fixed light, this slopes down
to the garden wall. The left single storey coursed rubble wing,
with ashlar cornice hiding the roof line, is set on a shallow
plinth with 3 glazing bar sashes. The west front has minor
single and 2 storey extensions. The north front of 2.1/2
storeys and 9 bays with ashlar cornice and chamfered projecting
ashlar quoins has an ashlar pediment topping the slightly
projecting central 3 bays. Similar quoins flank these bays.
The 3 bays on either side each have a 1st floor ashlar band. The
basement corresponds to the south front, but with 5 sashes only.
The central ground floor arched and recessed glazing bar sash
window is to Paine's design The ashlar arch over the window is
supported on a ,single pair of Ionic coluns, flanked by further
single attached Ionic half pilasters, with shaped bases. Either
side are 4 glazing bar sashes with ashlar jambs and architrave.
All ground floor windows have an ashlar balustraded sill. Above
are 9 glazing bar sashes, the central window,under a flat
head has ashlar jambs and architrave. On the top floor are
9 smaller glazing bar sashes. Projecting from the left is the
early C20 single storey red brick entrance wing with ashlar
cornice and chamfered projecting ashlar quoins. To its north
front is a Venetian window with balustraded sill, to the east
front is the portico. Interior. Staircase hall with
cantilevered staircase of 1812 with wrought iron balustrade. The
landing has Paine's screen of columns with decorated capitals.
The dining room, on the north side has a plasterwork ceiling with
paintings attributed to Zucchi, an inlaid and carved marble
fireplace and a doorcase with fluted Ionic half columns. The
C18 style wall decoration is early C20. Also to Paine's designs
are the coffered ceiling and marbled fireplace in the small
drawing room. The drawing room has a screen of fluted Corinthian
columns, a fireplace with Bacchic carving removed from a house in
Hanover Square and a decorated plaster ceiling. The library has
early C19 bookcases. The chapel remodelled in the early C20,
contains oak panelling from Hodroyd Hall. Country Life March
26th - April 9th, 1959.


Listing NGR: SK6345589342

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.