British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter and St Paul, Gringley on the Hill

Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 241130

OS Grid Reference: SK7359890666
OS Grid Coordinates: 473598, 390666
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4077, -0.8943

Location: High Street, Gringley On the Hill, Nottinghamshire DN10 4RS

Locality: Gringley on the Hill
Local Authority: Bassetlaw District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN10 4RS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument with a similar name, Market Cross 70m West of the Church of St Peter and St Paul, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This is probably the same structure or related to it in some way.

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:-

(south side)
Church of St.Peter
and St.Paul


The grade shall be amended to read II * (star)


(south side)

5/48 Church of St.Peter
1.2.67 and St.Paul


Parish Church, C13, C14, C15, C16, C17, C18, C19: south aisle
1910-12 for Rev. Charles Bailey. West tower, north aisle nave,
chancel, south aisle. Ashlar, partly rendered and pebbledashed,
some irregularly coursed and some coursed squared rubble; ashlar
dressings, slate roofs. West tower, 2 stages, has 2 string
courses, moulded crenellated parapet, 4 crocketed pinnacles. To
west, 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs plus plinth. To south,
single chamfered rectangular light. To west chamfered C14
doorway with close boarded door; above, C14 splayed and
chamfered opening with coved hood mould, containing restored C16
triple lancet with panel tracery. To right, 2 rectangular and
one trefoil lights to stair. To north, blocked round headed
Norman doorway. Second stage has 4 C14 coved and splayed
openings with coved hood moulds containing cusped head double
lancet louvred bell openings with panel tracery. North aisle,
C15 and 1720, 4 bays, has plinth, moulded string course, moulded
eaves band and parapet. Pair of angle buttresses to east, single
diagonal buttress to west, 2 setoffs, 3 intermediate buttresses,
2 setoffs. West window early C20, segmental headed opening with
coved hood mould, containing triple lancet with cusped heads and
Decorated tracery. North side has, to west, elaborate moulded
doorcase, late C17, with keystone and scrolled brackets to hood,
containing close boarded north door. To east, 3 square headed,
cove moulded openings, the central with 4, the outer with 3 C16
round headed lancets with chamfered mullions. East end has
square headed chamfered opening containing C16 round headed
triple lancet; above, datestone inscribed RF.SH 1720. Nave, 3
bays, has to north moulded parapet and to south, moulded eaves
band and parapet, rendered; 3 square headed C15 chamfered and
splayed openings with ogee headed cusped double lancets. Coped
gable with cross. Chancel, 2 bays, ashlar with ashlar quoins,
rendered, has coped gable with cross and slate roof. East window
C19, coved and moulded opening containing C15 style cusped ogee
head triple lancet with panel tracery. South side has 2 C15
square headed chamfered openings with hood moulds, each
containing cusped ogee headed triple lancet. South aisle, 1910-
12, 4 bays, irregularly coursed ashlar, 5 buttresses, 2 setoffs.
West bay blank; to east, roll moulded pointed arched doorway
with roll moulded hood containing close boarded door. To east, 2
square headed coved and rebated openings, each with cusped head
triple lancet with coved mullions. To west, similar coved and
rebated square headed opening with coved and chamfered hood mould
containing double ogee headed lancet with coved mullions. Tower
arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated haskeeled responds with
octagonal caps; C20 oak screen with elliptical central arch,
carved spandrels and balustered panel each side; above, parapet
with turned balusters to ringing chamber. Nave north arcade,
C13, 3 bays, with round piers with water holding bases on
chamfered square plinths, and plain octagonal capitals. Keeled
responds with octagonal caps. Double chamfered and rebated
arches with plain hood moulds. South arcade, 1910-12, 3 bays,
octagonal piers with moulded octagonal bases and capitals and
half pier responds. Double chamfered and rebated arches with
coved hood moulds. Roof, C19, low pitched, with some earlier
timber. Curved brackets from corbels to tie beams, principal
timbers moulded. 4 carved bosses including one mask. Font, C20,
octagonal, on earlier chamfered octagonal plinth with traceried
panels. Pulpit C20 timber, panelled; painted wooden eagle
lectern; C20 chairs. North aisle and north aisle chapel,
rendered. All splayed window openings. Splayed opening to
north door. East window of north side has stained glass, 1926;
east window stained glass, 1924. Roof, C20, incorporating some
C15 timber, straight struts to principal rafters, moulded rafters
and purlins. To west, 5 classical style memorial tablets, 1805,
1811, 1818, 1826, 1834; 2 other tablets c.1900 and 1962. C20
chairs and 3 resited C19 pews with shaped ends. Chancel arch,
C13, double chamfered and rebated, octagonal imposts with mask
stops. Screen c.1912. Perpendicular style, 7 bays, central
opening with carved spandrels. Chancel has single bay, north
arcade, C14, with double chamfered and rebated arch with keeled
responds with chamfered square bases and octagonal capitals.
Attached to its north side, another arch, C13, double chamfered
and rebated with octagonal imposts. East window has splayed
square headed opening with roll moulding and coved mullions. In
south east corner, C13 pillar piscina with stiff-leaf decoration.
South windows have square headed splayed openings with chamfered
mullions; that to west has C19 stained glass. Roof, C20, with
moulded purlins. C20 benches and choir stalls. South aisle,
rendered. East window has splayed opening, 1920 stained glass
and war memorial plaque, 1945. South wall windows have segmental
headed cove moulded and splayed openings. South door has
chamfered and splayed opening, surrounded by panelled timber
screen. To west, moulded pointed arched doorway to vestry.

Listing NGR: SK7359890666

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.