If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 241159
OS Grid Reference: SK7647194774
OS Grid Coordinates: 476471, 394774
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4442, -0.8501
Explore more of the area around Misterton, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
SK 79 SE MISTERTON CHURCH STREET
6/76 Church of All
Parish Church, C13, C14, C15, C17,C19. C20; tower and spire
rebuilt 1847-8, including partial restoration. Ashlar with
ashlar dressings, coursed squared rubble, rendering, lead roofs.
West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch.
West tower, 2 stages; striated ashlar, second stage rendered.
Chamfered plinth, string course, broach spire with 2 tiers of
lucarnes. Plain buttresses, single setoff, to north-east and
south -east corners, engaged with aisles. Clasp buttresses to
south west and north west corners, 2 setoffs plus plinths. To
west, single chamfered and rebated lancet window with hoodmould,
mask stops and dogtooth. Second stage has 4 chamfered and
rebated openings containing C14 paired lancets with Y tracery;
hoodmould with dogtooth and mask stops. North aisle, 7 bays,
has chamfered plinth, moulded string course, eaves and parapet,
with 7 gargoyles. Diagonal buttresses at north east and north
west corners, plus 6 intermediate buttresses, all 2 setoffs.
West window C15 chamfered opening containing cusped head triple
lancet with panel tracery. North side has, to west C15 4
centred arched doorway with moulded surround, now partly blocked
and with C20 glazing. To east, 3 C19 chamfered and rebated
openings containing Decorated style triple lancets with cusped
heads, panel tracery, and chamfered mullions. To east again,
C14 chamfered and rebated opening containing double lancet with
Decorated tracery and coved mullions; to east, C14 coved opening
containing double lancet with cusped heads and panel tracery.
East window C19 chamfered and rebated opening with triple
Decorated lancet. To its left, early C18 memorial cartouche
with skull and drapery; inscription illegible. Nave
clerestorey, 3 bays, has moulded eaves on south side only; coped
gable with cross. On either side, 3 C15 square headed coved and
rebated openings with label moulds, containing plain triple
lancets. Chancel, 2 bays, has on south side single intermediate
buttress, 2 setoffs; single buttress to north-east, pair of
angle buttresses to south-east, all 3 setoffs. To east only,
chamfered plinth and moulded string course. East end has
chamfered and rebated surround containing C17 quadruple lancet
with trefoil heads and unusual tracery, with hood mould and mask
stops. Above, coped gable with cross. To right, C18 memorial
tablet to Nicholas Walton, Master Shipwright; and slate memorial
tablet, 1771, to Robert Hickson, rope maker. South side has, to
west, four centred arched splayed opening containing C15 triple
lancet with cusped heads; to east, four centred arched priest's
door with splayed opening; to east again, two 4 centred arched
splayed openings containing C15 double lancets. South aisle, 3
bays, chamfered plinth, moulded string course, moulded coped
parapet. Diagonal buttress to south east, plus 3 more
buttresses, all 2 setoffs. 3 coved and splayed openings with
label moulds, each containing C15 triple lancet with cusped
heads. South porch, C15, square plan, engaged with south aisle.
Single diagonal buttress to south-west, 2 setoffs; chamfered
plinth, moulded string course; above, coped gable with cross.
C19 chamfered pointed arched doorway with plain hood mould. C15
kingpost roof with moulded tie beam and purlins. Porch contains 2
headstones 1797 and 1861 and single slate headstone to Richard
and Mary Kellet, 1721 and 1722. South door-way, double rebated
and chamfered opening with cove end roll moulded head with
dogtooth band. C19 panelled door. Nave north arcade, C13 and
C14, 3 bays; 2 octagonal piers with chamfered square bases and
stylised oak leaf capitals; arches double chamfered and rebated,
with mask imposts. South arcade, C14, 2 octagonal piers with
tapered octagonal bases and moulded capitals; double chamfered
and rebated arches with octagonal responds. Clerestorey,
rendered, with 3 square openings either side. C19 kingpost roof
with curved brackets from corbels to moulded tie beams and
principal timbers. 2 gilt angels on easternmost brackets.
Font, C13, decorated plinth with tapered octagonal bowl, 1660.
C19 pulpit, lectern and plain pews. Royal Arms on board
inscribed 'J. Addinell of Doncaster, painter, 1721'. Tower
Arch, C13, triple chamfered and rebated, plain hood mould and
imposts. 4 centred arched doorway to tower. North tower arch,
c.1200, triple chamfered and rebated, with octagonal stiff-leaf
imposts, dogtooth label mould with mask stops. Contains C20 4
centred arched doorway with close-boarded door. North aisle,
rendered; westernmost bay blocked to form vestry. Splayed
window openings, third from west with C15 stained glass. In
fourth bay to east, C13 double chamfered and rebated arch with
stiff leaf imposts. East window has important stained glass by
Piper and Reyntiens, 1965. East end has rectangular aumbry in
north wall and memorial tablets 1808, 1824 and 3 C20. Roof, C19
with some re-used timber; moulded rafters, chamfered purlins,
curved brackets from corbels. Plain C19 pews. Chancel arch,
C13, double chamfered and rebated with plain octagonal imposts.
Chancel north arcade c.1200 and later C13. 2 octagonal piers
with tapered octagonal bases, double chamfered and rebated arches
with plain hood moulds; to west, respond with moulded capital;
to east, plain octagonal respond. East window has plain
chamfered and splayed reveal, stained glass 1901; re-set corbels
at either side at sill level. South side has, to east, pointed
headed C14 piscina; 3 windows with splayed reveals and C19
stained glass; square headed priest's door. C19 kingpost roof
with chamfered tie beams and purlins supported by curved brackets
from corbels with traceried panels. To south, memorial, 1889,
to north, classical style memorial tablet, 1836 and 1847. South
aisle, rendered. Splayed window reveals, central window with
stained glass, 1918. C19 roof. East end has part of C14
Decorated screen as reredos, and fragment of C17 carved
panelling. 4 C19 memorial brasses. Plain C19 pews.
Listing NGR: SK7647794772
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.