British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary Magdalene, Walkeringham

Description: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 241187

OS Grid Reference: SK7706792227
OS Grid Coordinates: 477067, 392227
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4212, -0.8418

Locality: Walkeringham
Local Authority: Bassetlaw District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN10 4HT

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Standing Cross on Walkeringham Village Green, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Walkeringham, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(east side)

6/104 Church of St. Mary
1.2.67 Magdalene

G.V. I

Parish church, C13, C14, C15, C16, C17, C18, C19 west tower,
nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch. Large
coursed limestone ashlar, coursed rubble, part rendered, ashlar
dressings. Lead roofs. West tower, 2 stages, has moulded
plinth, 2 string courses, crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed
pinnacles; 2 diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs; plain buttresses
to north east and south east, 2 setoffs; single additional
buttress to north east, single setoff. West window C14, double
coved surround with hood mould, containing restored triple lancet
with cusped heads, panel tracery and coved mullions. Above,
clock faces to north and west. First stage has 4 C15 bell
openings with hood moulds, containing triple lancets with panel
tracery. North aisle, 5 bays; diagonal corner buttresses and 4
intermediate buttresses, 2 setoffs. Moulded plinth, string
course, crenellated parapet. To west, C15 4 centred arched head
doorway; to east, 4 deep square headed splayed reveals with hood
moulds, each containing round headed C16 triple lancets with
chamfered mullions. East end window identical. Nave
clerestorey, 3 bays, has moulded string course, moulded
crenellated parapet and gable. On north side 3 and on south
side 4 square headed chamfered and rebated reveals each
containing C16 round headed triple lancets. Chancel, 2 bays,
has moulded plinth and eaves, coped gable with cross, single
buttresses on eastern corners, 2 setoffs. East end has single
chamfered and coved opening with coved hood mould, containing C15
quadruple lancet with panel tracery. South side has off centre
4 centred arched priest's door with hood mould, flanked by single
square headed coved reveals containing C15 triple plain lancets
with splayed mullions. South aisle, 3 bays, has moulded plinth,
string course and crenellated parapets. Pair of set-back
buttresses to south east, single diagonal buttress to south west,
2 intermediate buttresses, all 2 setoffs. To east, 2 square
headed coved and rebated surrounds containing C15 plain triple
lancets with coved mullions; east window similar. South porch,
C19 in C13 style, chamfered and rebated doorway with octagonal
responds, bases and capitals. Above, shouldered coped gable
with cross. Principal rafter roof with moulded ridge. South
doorway, C15, cove and roll moulded doorway with C19 close
boarded door. Nave, north and south arcades, C13, 3 bays,
octagonal piers on broached square bases, octagonal capitals,
with nailhead to north only. Moulded imposts. Plain double
chamfered and rebated arches. Clerestorey has splayed square
headed openings. Kingpost roof, C15, principal timbers moulded,
one tie beam inscribed '1713.' Tower arch, C13, double
chamfered and rebated, crenellated imposts. Fittings include
tapered octagonal font on square base, inscribed 'R C B W 1663';
oak pulpit, late C17; 3 C17 oak pews, the remainder C19
replicas; Decorated timber screen to tower arch, c.1906; C19
stained glass in west window. North aisle, rendered; re-set
mask corbel in west end, and plain window opening. To west
blocked window, to east, Tudor arched opening to north door. To
east again, 2 C15 Tudor arched windows. Roof, C19. Moulded
oak pews C19. South aisle, rendered; east window has C20
stained glass. To south, 2 splayed windows; beyond to west,
south door. Roof, C15, moulded principal rafters with curved
brackets. Benefaction board and C19 moulded pews. Chancel
arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated with octagonal imposts.
Cut-down remains of C15 screen, 5 panels, linked to pulpit.
Chancel north arcade, C13, 2 bays, single round pier with moulded
octagonal base and roll moulded capital. Double chamfered and
rebated arches with canted moulded impost to west and keeled
respond to east. Chancel north chapel, rendered. To north 2
splayed square headed windows and similar east window. Roof
C15, principal timbers moulded, east bay diagonal matchboard.
C15 timber screen, 6 bays with panel tracery, arranged to form
vestry. To north, slate and alabaster monument to Francis
Williamson, d.1639, by Edward Marshall. Panelled rectangular
base; above, 3 kneeling figures; above again, aedicule with
Doric columns carrying hood with cartouche containing arms;
2 facing kneeling figures. Chancel east wall has to north
rectangular double aumbry with rebated surround; fragments of
C19 glass in east window. South wall has to east
small piscina in chamfered surround. Central square headed
splayed doorway flanked by single splayed square headed windows.
Kingpost roof, C15, roll moulded principal timbers, with carved
bosses and pendants.

Listing NGR: SK7706792229

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.