British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Cuthbert and St Mary, Worksop Priory, and Remains of Cloister Wall, Worksop

Description: Church of St Cuthbert and St Mary, Worksop Priory, and Remains of Cloister Wall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 13 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 241327

OS Grid Reference: SK5902778906
OS Grid Coordinates: 459027, 378906
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3038, -1.1157

Location: Priorswell Road, Clumber and Hardwick, Nottinghamshire S80 2BY

Locality: Worksop
Local Authority: Bassetlaw District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: S80 2BY

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

and SK 5878 NE (East side)

3/118 and 8/118 Church of St.Cuthbert and
St Mary, Worksop Priory,
and remains of cloister
wall (Formerly listed as
Worksop Priory)
G.V. I

Augustinian priory, now Parish church. C12, C13, C14, restored
1845-49 by R. Nicholson; Lady chapel restored 1922, south
transept built 1929, north transept built 1935 by Sir Harold
Breakspear. Crossing tower, sanctuary and east end by Laurence
King, 1966-74. Regular and irregularly coursed ashlar and
squared rubble; slate and flat roofs. Ashlar dressings,
buttresses moulded and chamfered plinths, string courses, sill
band, hood moulds, dentillated eaves and wavy corbel table, and
moulded parapets. 2 west towers, nave, north porch and offices,
cloister wall, north aisle, north transept, crossing tower,
sanctuary, east end, lady chapel, south transept, south aisle,
south porch. West towers, C12 and C14, have 4 gargoyles. South
tower has, to south, C12 lancet with nailhead; north tower has,
to west, heavily moulded doorway, early C12, with single shaft
respondsand blind arcading. Second stages have single C13
lancets, and south tower only, clock. Third stages have single
lancets on 3 sides; fourth stages have on each side a pair of
round headed openings each containing 2 Transitional lancets with
colonettes. Nave west end has central Cll doorway with shaft
responds and waterleaf capitals and richly moulded head with hood
mould and beak stops. C19 doors with decorative hinges. Above,
moulded round headed Cll window with nailhead. Above again,
coped gable with cross. Clerestorey has 8 round headed windows
on each side. Single storey monastic parlour now north porch,
has to west, C12 doorway, 2 orders, with roll, cove and zigzag
moulding and waterleaf capitals. To east, single C19 double
lancet. Remains of cloister wall adjoining north porch has single
round headed and four centred arched doorways, chamfered
rectangular opening and collapsed opening. North aisle,
restored 1845-49, has 7 single lancets. To west, C12 doorway, 3
orders, with square capitals and zigzag and nailhead moulding.
To east, similar blocked doorway, 3 orders, with roll moulding.
North transept, 1935, in C13 style, 2 bays deep and 3 bays wide,
has 8 lancets. Crossing tower, 1974, has 2 full height window
recesses in each side, parapet and fleche. Gabled C20 sanctuary.
Lady chapel, C13, 2 bays, has to east 3 lancets with keeled
clustered intermediate shafts and roll moulded heads. South side
has 2 similar triple lancets. South transept, 1929, in
Transitional style, 3 bays deep and 3 bays wide, has round headed
windows. South aisle, similar to north aisle, 9 bays, has 8
lancets with nailhead, and south porch. Single bay south porch,
C13, has crenellated coped gable with sundial and crocketted
pinnacle. South doorway with triple roll moulding. Interior has
stone benches, C12 doorway, 3 orders, with nailhead capitals and
noteworthy C12 doors with elaborate hinges. Above, cusped head
niche, and similar niche in east wall. 4 bay rib vault. Nave
arcade, 9 bays, has to east 2 Cll arches with round piers,
scallop capitals, roll mould and billet moulded hood with
arcading. To west, alternating round and octagonal piers with
pseudo-piers under west towers. All piers have water holding
bases and stiff leaf capitals with dogtooth, cove and roll
moulded arches and hoods with dogtooth. Above, string course
and triforium, 18 bays, with alternate large and small openings,
the larger breaking into the clerestorey. Large openings have
shafts with square capitals and dogtooth and nailhead bands.
Small openings have dogtooth and nailhead bands. Above again, 8
bay clerestorey with roll moulded openings with shafts, and
above again, nailhead eaves band. Scissor braced principal
rafter roof, c.1849. Roll moulded crossing arch has responds
with scallop capitals, and above, blind arcade with central wheel
window with stained glass. West end has roll moulded doorway,
and above, window with stained glass, 1868. Below north tower,
carillion mechanism behind timber screen, 1931. North porch, 3
bays, has vault with moulded ribs and shaft responds. North
aisle, 9 bays, has to west C13 arch with keeled responds and
stiff leaf capitals, 8 windows with C19 stained glass, and
moulded C13 tomb recess. Plain vault, early C13. To east, round
arch into north transept with responds and scallop capitals.
Zigzag moulding on east face. North transept has painted ashlar
reredos by Sir G. Scott, removed from east end. To north, C13
pillar piscina. Below crossing, C20 altar on plinth, roll
moulded nave arch with remains of responds and waterleaf
capitals. Lady chapel has to north blind arcade, 2 bays, with
central clustered pier, chamfered arches and C20 ashlar screen.
East end has triple lancet with interlaced hoods and C20 stained
glass. South side has C13 piscina and matching sedilia. South
transept has 2 restored C13 arches, and to west, C12 arch into
south aisle with zigzag moulding. South aisle has 9 windows with
shafts and C19 stained glass. Plain vault, C13, with moulded
ribs. Fittings include font, 1857, with octagonal main shaft and
panelled square bowl; font, 1974; communion table, early C17;
chest, late C17; C20 benches, stalls and chairs. In south
aisle, brass 1615, with Renaissance style surround; 11 tablets
and brasses, C19 and C20; in west end, 5 memorial tablets, late
C18 and 1823; war memorial in Lady chapel; in north aisle, 4
C19 brasses. In south transept, 3 mutilated alabaster figures,
1366, 1406 and early C15.

Listing NGR: SK5902778910

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.