If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary and All Saints
Date Listed: 1 December 1965
English Heritage Building ID: 241749
OS Grid Reference: SK7074439948
OS Grid Coordinates: 470744, 339948
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9523, -0.9485
Explore more of the area around Bingham, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
BINGHAM CHURCH STREET
12/4 Church of St. Mary
and All Saints.
1.12.65 (Formerly listed as
Church of All Saints)
Parish church. 1225, C14, C15, C16, 1729. Nave and chancel
restored by G. G. Scott, 1845. Porch restored, clerestorey added
and nave re-roofed 1873. Further restored by W. D. Caroe, 1912.
Coursed and squared rubble. Ashlar dressings. Slate roofs.
West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, north transept, south
transept, south porch, baptistry. West tower, 2 stages, has
moulded plinth, string course and corbel table with ballflower
and masks. 4 gargoyles. Low parapet with 2 figures and 2
pinnacles. Shallow clasp buttresses and 4 pairs of corner
buttresses, 5 setoffs. South, west and north sides have each a
small gabled buttress. Setback octagonal spire has 3 tiers of 4
lucarnes, each with double lancet with quatrefoil head. Above,
weathercock and finial. First stage has to south 2 stair lights
and C13 lancet. To west, to left, doorway with segmental head
containing C18 plank door with lintel inscribed 'J B RT 1729'.
Central buttress contains C19 lancet. To north, single lancet.
Second stage has on each side 2 double lancets, early C14, with
shafts and Y tracery, hood moulds and stops. Above each, clock.
Nave clerestorey, 1873, has eaves with ballflower, and coped east
gable. On each side, 3 quatrefoil openings. North aisle, 3
bays, has to west, pair of corner buttresses and to north, 2
buttresses, all 2 setoffs. North side has central pointed
doorway, restored C19, flanked by single restored lancets, C19,
all with hood moulds and stops. North transept, c.1400, has
coped gable with kneelers. 2 pairs corner buttresses, 2 setoffs.
North gable has Decorated style C19 quadruple lancet with hood
mould and mask stops. East side has partly obliterated C15
quadruple lancet with four centred arched head and panel tracery.
Adjoining organ chamber, late C19, has slate lean-to roof and
coped gables. To east, a double lancet. Chancel, 3 bays, has
moulded plinth, sill band, chamfered eaves and coped gable with
cross. North side has central buttress flanked by single
restored C14 lancets with Decorated tracery, hood moulds and mask
stops. East end has 2 pairs of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs plus
plinths, and C15 quadruple lancet with four centred arched heads
and cusped panel tracery. South side has 2 buttresses and 3
windows similar to north side. To left, recessed moulded doorway
with hood mould and mask stops containing restored C18 Gothick
door. South transept has pair of corner buttresses to south and
single buttress to east. Coped gable with kneelers. East side
has 2 C19 Decorated style lancets. South side has restored C14
quadruple lancet with transom and intersecting tracery and hood
mould. To left, remains of corner buttress. Adjoining vestry
has buttress to left, and coped gable. South gable has 4
rectangular blocked openings at ground level, with chamfered
reveals. Above, C19 Decorated style triple lancet with ogee
heads and flowing tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South
porch has pair of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs, coped gable with
kneelers and cross. Restored C14 south doorway with multiple
cove and roll mouldings, and responds with moulded capitals and
bases. Lean-to baptistry has single coped gable with kneeler.
To south west, pair of corner buttresses. South side has a C19
Decorated style double lancet with hood mould and mask stops.
Porcn has C19 purlin roof and to north, C14 triple sedilia with
chamfered trefoil heads and bench with quatrefoil panels. Above,
2 pentagonal openings with naturalistic tracery. To left, C19
doorway. Inner doorway, chamfered and cove moulded has hood
mould and inserted C18 panelling and door. Above, large foliate
corbel. Nave north and south arcades, early C14, 5 bays, have
each 4 octagonal piers with matching responds. Moulded octagonal
bases, some water holding. Naturalistic foliate corbels, 2
crocketed, one with grotesque masks. Double chamfered and
rebated arches with hood moulds and mask stops. Principal rafter
roof, 1873, with arch braces, wall shafts and foliate corbels.
North aisle has C19 lean-to roof and 2 windows with C19 stained
glass heads. Baptistry has similar roof and a similar window.
Panelled dado 1928 and traceried oak screens 1933. Tower chamber
has to west, stained glass window, C19. North transept has
stained glass window by A. R. Mowbray, 1848 and to its right,
late C14 aumbry with trefoil head and moulded surround.
Principal rafter roof similar to nave. South transept has
similar roof. To east, stained glass window by Kempe, 1888, and
another by Frank Miles, 1883. South end has to left, restored
Cl4 piscina and central square recess. Above, window with C19
patterned stained glass. West side has blocked pointed opening.
Vestry has restored C15 roof with arch braces with nailhead and
octaqonal wall shafts and corbels. East side has tomb recess
with four centred arched head and above, blocked pointed
opening. South window has some C20 stained glass. Chancel arch,
C14, restored 1873, double chamfered and rebated with hood mould,
mask stops and responds with water holding bases. To right,
canopied oak figure, 1928. Screen has C15 lower part with
inscribed panels and above, traceried openings, inscribed transom
and crest designed as war memorial by W. D. Caroe, 1921.
Chancel, restored 1873, has principal rafter roof with arch
braces on large angel corbels. North side has to west, unglazed
C14 traceried opening into organ chamber. To east, panelled dado
incorporating aumbry. East end has similar dado and elaborate
stepped reredos in C15 style by W. D. Caroe, 1925. East window
has stained glass by Mrs. Robert Miles, 1873. South side has to
east, combined piscina and triple sedilia, c.1300, with bracketed
bowl and cusped trefoil heads. Above, 2 windows with C19 stained
glass. Fittings include chamfered Cl9 benches, roll moulded
benches with ogee ends and foliate finials, plus canopied choir
stalls, by W. D. Caroe, 1913. Carved octagonal oak memorial
pulpit on ashlar base, 1916. Buttressed oak lectern with pyramid
bookstand and figure finial, c.1921. Font, C12, re-cut and with
new base, 1926. Stepped conical timber cover with 6 turned
balusters, 1932. Bench incorporating 2 C15 bench ends with
lozenge finials. Monuments include C13 effigy of Sir John de
Bingham. Marble and slate tablets 1771, 1773, 1804. Brasses
referring to clock (1871) and restoration (1873).
Listing NGR: SK7074539952
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.