If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



Church of All Saints, Elston

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 16 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 241979

OS Grid Reference: SK7588247982
OS Grid Coordinates: 475882, 347982
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0238, -0.8701

Location: Top Street, Elston, Nottinghamshire NG23 5NP

Locality: Elston
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG23 5NP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Elston, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

ELSTON TOP STREET
SK 74 NE (north side)
6/27
Church of
All Saints
16.1.67
II*
Parish church. C13, C14, extensively restored 1837, chancel
restored and vestry rebuilt 1856. Coursed rubble. Concrete
pantile roofs. Tower, nave, aisles and vestry embattled, chancel
with parapet and single north stack. East gables of nave and
chancel with single ridge cross finials. Tower, nave, aisles,
south porch, north vestry and chancel. Slim C13 tower of 3
stages with band at lower stage, 4 crocketed pinnacles and 8
gargoyles. West side has a single window with 2 arched lights
under a flat arch. Above is a single window with 2 arched and
cusped lights under a flat arch. The north wall has a doorway
with wooden plank door and drip mould. The 4 arched bell chamber
openings each have 2 arched lights, above are 4 arched windows
each with 2 arched lights. There are single rectangular stair
lights to the west, north and south. The south side also has a
single clock face over the bell chamber opening. North aisle has
a single C19 window with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat
arch, to the left are 2 similar 3 light windows. The C14
clerestory with single crocketed pinnacle has 3 C19 arched
windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights and single small
quatrefoil. The diagonally buttressed vestry is set on a plinth
and has a pointed arched doorway in the north wall. Steps to the
right lead down to a cellar with blocked pointed arched doorway
and single ogee arched light to the right. The east vestry wall
has a single C19 window with single arched and cusped light,
tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north chancel wall is
set on a plinth and has a single C19 arched window with single
arched and cusped light surmounted by a single trefoil with hood
mould and label stops. A sill band extends under. The angle
buttressed east end has a single C19 arched window with 3 pointed
arched and cusped lights flanked by single slim columns. There
is a single transom, the lights being blocked under, and a hood
mould with human head label stops. A sill band extends under.
The buttressed south chancel has 2 C19 2 light arched Y traceried
windows. Each light being flanked by single slim columns with
decorated capitals. A sill band extends under. The east wall
of the south aisle has a single C19 window with 3 arched and
cusped lights under a flat arch, the south wall has 2 similar
windows. The diagonally buttressed and gabled south porch with
embattled side walls has a moulded arched entrance with small
iron gate. There is an inner chamfered arched doorway. To the
left is a single C19 window with 2 arched and cusped lights under
a flat arch and in the west wall a single 2 light arched window
with cusped tracery and hood mould. The clerestory corresponds
to the north. Interior. 2 bay nave arcades, with octagonal
columns, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Double
chamfered tower arch, the inner chamfer being supported on
moulded capitals and corbels and the arch decorated with carved
ashlar shields. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner chamfer
supported on moulded capitals, and corbels. East window has a
hood mould and human head label stops. Moulded, pointed, arched
doorway to vestry, flanked by single slim engaged columns. South
chancel wall has an arched piscina being decorated with fleuron.
The north chancel wall has an aumbry with wooden door decorated
with open tracery. Restored C14 octagonal font. Remaining
furniture C19. Monuments. In the north chancel to John Darwin,
1805, by Wallis, Newark, is a monument decorated with an urn on
the crown and a decorative shield on the apron. In the south
chancel to Will Darwin, 1760, the tablet being flanked by
decorative scrolls at the base and garlands at the sides, the
segmental arch over is topped with a decorative shield and
further garlands; the decorative apron is supported on an
angel's head. The south nave has a plaque to Geo. Chapell, 1766
and over the tower arch is a plaque to George Lascelles, 1616,
this is surmounted by a shield and visor. On the south aisle
west wall is a monument to William Alvey Darwin, 1783 by Wallis,
Newark. The crown has a decorative cartouche flanked by single
urns. There is a monument to Jane Darwin, 1835, this is topped
with an urn and cross. On the north wall to Robert Darwin, 1754,
the inscription being flanked by single pilasters with dosserets
decorated with paterae and topped with a decorative cartouche.
The north aisle north wall has a monument to Robert Waring
Darwin, 1816, by Wallis, Newark. This is topped with an urn.
That to Elizabeth Hill Darwin, 1804, by Taylor of York, has an
oval inscription tablet with decorative sarcophagus over and is
topped with a decorative shield. On the west wall that to
William Waring, 1835, has a decorative urn over the inscription
and 2 angels holding a crown above. The monument to Elizabeth
Darwin, 1835, by Tyley, Bristol, has fluted columns flanking the
inscription and is surmounted by a seated woman. On the south
wall is a monument to Jane Eleanor Darwin, 1838, the inscription
is set into a decorative sarcophagus and is surmounted by an urn
with flowers, over is a dove carrying a lily. Tower, south wall,
has a monument to Ann Darwin, 1813, by Wallis of Newark, the west
wall has one to Susanna Darwin, 1789 by Wallis of Newark and to
William Darwin 1682 with oval inscription tablet with decorative
surround and topped with decorative shield surmounted by an urn.
On the north wall is a monument to John Darwin, 1818, by Wallis
and Marshall, decorated with a shield on the apron. In the tower
and nave are single C19 decorative copper memorials.


Listing NGR: SK7588247982

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |