If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Peter, Farndon

Description: Church of St Peter

Grade: I
Date Listed: 16 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 241984

OS Grid Reference: SK7679051794
OS Grid Coordinates: 476790, 351794
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0579, -0.8557

Location: 16 W End, Farndon, Nottinghamshire NG24 3SW

Locality: Farndon
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG24 3SW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Farndon, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

FARNDON CHURCH STREET
SK 75 SE (south side)
3/32
Church of
16.1.67 St. Peter
G.V.
I
Parish church. C12, late C13, C14, restored 1598, C16 and late
C19. Coursed rubble, ashlar, render. Nave, aisles, chapel,
vestry and chancel, all with parapets. Single ridge crosses to
the east end of nave and chancel. Buttressed throughout.
Tower, nave, aisles, north vestry, south porch, south chapel and
chancel. Diagonally buttressed tower, set on a chamfered plinth
of 3 stages with bands. Embattled with 8 crocketed pinnacles.
The west side has a single window with 3 arched lights under a
flat arch with dripmould. Over is an ashlar panel inscribed
"This was done Ano 1598...." The south side has a single window
with 2 arched lights under a flat arch with flush ashlar quoin
surround. Above is a single rectangular stair light. In the
bell chamber are 4 openings, each with 2 arched lights under a
flat arch and dripmould. The north aisle is set on a chamfered
plinth, the west wall has a single C19 3 light window with cusped
panel tracery under segmental pointed arch with flush ashlar
quoin surround and hood mould. The north wall has a C12 round
arched doorway with blocked tympanum. To the right is evidence
of C12 herringbone masonry. To the left are 2 C19 2 light
windows each with cusped panel tracery under a segmental pointed
arch with flush ashlar quoin surrounds, hood moulds and label
stops. The vestry is set on a chamfered plinth with single
diagonal buttress to the east. There is a single restored C14 2
light window with ogee arched and cusped lights and tracery,
under a segmental pointed arch with hood mould and label stops.
Under is a sill band which extends the length of the north wall
being broken by the moulded arched doorway with hood mould and
label stops, this is to the left of the window. The east end of
the vestry, also with continuous sill band, has a single similar
restored 2 light window with flush ashlar qoin surround, hood
mould and label stops. The clerestory has 3 restored segmental
pointed arched C14 windows each with 2 ogee arched and cusped
lights, tracery, hood mould, label stops and flush ashlar quoin
surround. To the right of the central window is a single carved
human head. The diagonally buttressed chancel is set on a
chamfered plinth with moulded band over. The C19 arched east
window has 3 lights with cusped panel tracery, a single transom
with blind tracery under, flush ashlar quoin surround, hood
mould, label stops and stepped continuous sill band. The south
chancel has a single restored C14 segmental pointd arched window
with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights, tracery, flush ashlar quoin
surround, hood mould and right label stop. The south chapel is
set on a chamfered plinth and has in the east wall a single C19
segmental pointed arched 2 light window with cusped panel
tracery, flush ashlar quoin surround, hood mould and label
stops. The south wall has a single restored segmental pointed
arched C14 window with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights, tracery,
flush ashlar quoin surround, hood mould and label stops. The
south aisle, south wall, has 2 C14 segmental pointed arched
windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights, flush ashlar quoin
surround, hood mould and label stops. A continuous sill band
extends under. The gabled south porch with plain tile roof and
single ridge cross has a double chamfered arched entrance. The
inner chamfered arched doorway has a hood mould. The west wall
of the south aisle has a segmental pointed arched C14 window with
2 arched and cusped lights flush ashlar quoin surround, hood
mould and label stops. The south clerestory corresponds to the
north, but lacks the carved head. Interior. 3 bay nave arcades
with double chamfered arches and hood mould to the north side
which was rebuilt in 1897 and has compound piers each of 4
attached shafts with moulded capitals. To the east is an
octagonal respond , to the west a moulded capital. The late C13
south arcade west pier is circular with 4 attached colonnettes
and moulded capitals. The east pier has 4 attached shafts
alternating with 4 keeled shafts with fillets, all with moulded
capitals. The east respond has a circular column with fillet
and 2 engaged colonnettes. The west has a single moulded
capital with remnants of a circular column with fillet supported
on a corbel. Moulded tower arch, the inner arch order being
supported on single corbels. Double chamfered C19 chancel arch,
the inner chamfer supported on single corbels, with hood mould
over. The north aisle, north vestry, has a chamfered arch.
The south aisle, south chapel has a double chamfered arch.
Chamfered chancel north vestry and chancel south chapel arches.
To the left of the south chapel arch is a small pointed chamfered
arch. In the south chancel wall is an arched piscina. In the
north wall is a moulded arched doorway with hood mould. The
south wall of the south aisle has an arched piscina. In the
tower is a C17 staircase with fretted balusters. Octagonal font
with elaborate C19 canopy. Furniture C19. Monuments include
in the north chancel to William Buck, 1795, by Wallis of Newark,
a tablet surmounted by an urn. In the south chancel is a
decorative brass plaque to Dorothy Cook, 1741. In the south
aisle, to Samuel Peake, 1729, this has single angels' heads
flanking the decorative apron, single scrolls flank the
inscription and the crown is decorated with a single urn. In
the tower is a metal plaque to W. Rippon and I. Lamb, church
wardens, 1792. The north aisle has the remains of C12 ashlar
coffin. Nave roof of 1664.


Listing NGR: SK7679251796

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.