If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



Church of St Lawrence, Gonalston

Description: Church of St Lawrence

Grade: II
Date Listed: 13 March 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 242013

OS Grid Reference: SK6821947463
OS Grid Coordinates: 468219, 347463
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0201, -0.9845

Location: A612, Gonalston, Nottinghamshire NG14 7JA

Locality: Gonalston
Local Authority: Newark and Sherwood District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG14 7JA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Gonalston, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

GONALSTON THURGARTON ROAD
SK 64 NE (south side)
4/61 Church of
St. Lawrence
II
Parish church. C14, rebuilt 1843 by Hine. Dressed coursed
rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Coped gables with single ridge
crosses to west and east nave, east chancel and porch.
Buttressed. North west tower with stair turret, nave, north
aisle, south porch and chancel. West end with single C19 3 light
arched window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head
label stops. Over is a single C19 quatrefoil with hood mould and
decorative label stops. The tower is set on a chamfered plinth,
is of 2 stages with band and has a small spire with single
lucarnes to west, east and north. The west wall has a single C19
arched light with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head
labels tops. In the north wall is a single arched light. The
bell chamber has in each side 2 arched openings each with cusped
tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The north east
stair turret has 2 rectangular lights. The north aisle is set on
a chamfered plinth and has 2 arched 2 light C19 windows each with
cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The east
wall has a single C19 arched 2 light window with cusped tracery,
hood mould and human head label stops. The north chancel has an
arched doorway with single small 2 light arched window above with
Y tracery, hood mould and label stops. Over is evidence of an
earlier north chapel arcade arch. To the left of the buttress is
evidence of a small blocked pointed arch. The east end has a
single restoredarched 3 light window with intersectingtracery,
hood mould and label stops. The south chancel has 2 restored 2
light arched Y traceried windows each with hood mould and label
stops. To the right of that on the left is an inset plaque to
Mary Oldacres 1821. The south nave has 2 arched C19 3 light
windows each with tracery, hood mould and human head label stops.
The tracery of the window on the right is cupsed. The gabled
porch has a chamfered arched entrance with hood mould and human
head label stops. In the side walls are single windows each with
2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch with hood mould and
decorative label stops. Inner chamfered arched doorway with hood
mould and human head label stops. Interior. Renewed 2 bay C14
nave arcade with double chamfered arches, broach stops, octagonal
columns and responds and moulded capitals. To nave side is a
continuous hood mould with label stops. Double chamfered nave
and aisle tower arches. Double chamfered chancel arch with
octagonal responds and moulded capitals. In the south chancel
wall is an arched and cusped piscina. In the north wall, set
into a recess, is a single low C14 octagonal column with moulded
capital. The north aisle has a doorway to the stair turret.
Remains of a pedestal piscina and a circular font. C17 altar
rails with turned balusters. Many of the benches incorporate C18
panelling. C18 panelled pulpit. Remaining furniture C19 with
octagonal font with decorated quatrefoil panels. Some C17 and
C18 floor slabs. The north aisle has 3 early C14 damaged
reclining effigies of the Heriz family, 2 of cross legged Knights
and the third of Lady Mathilda in wimpole with head under an ogee
arch decorated with crockets and further decorated with stiff
leaf and more naturalistic foliage. On the north aisle north
wall is a decorative ashlar memorial to those who died in the
1914-18 war. The inscription is flanked by panels with
decorative arches over, each containing a single figure and
biblical quotation in coloured glass. In the north east window
of the north aisle are remains of C14 stained glass. On the
north nave wall is a hatchment and on the south nave wall a board
detailing "Donations to the Poor of Gonalston", dated "May 6th
1828".


Listing NGR: SK6821947463

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |