If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of the Holy Cross
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 242096
OS Grid Reference: SK6507648527
OS Grid Coordinates: 465076, 348527
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0301, -1.0311
Explore more of the area around Epperstone, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
SK 64 NE EPPERSTONE MAIN STREET
9/40 Church of the
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1853 and 1879. Ashlar,
some render and red brick. Concrete pantiles to nave and
chancel, lead to south aisle, plain tiles to porch and vestry.
Coped gables. East chancel and east nave with decorative ridge
crosses. Single ashlar and brick stack to north chancel. Tower
with spire, nave, south aisle, south porch, north vestry and
chancel. Diagonally buttressed embattled C13 tower set on a deep
plinth with chamfered and moulded bands. 2 stages with bands.
Single gargoyles to the centre of each side. Topped with a C14
spire. West side with single arched C15 window set into a deep
reveal having 3 cinquefoil arched lights and cusped tracery.
Over, the tower band forms a continuous hood mould. The south
wall has a doorway with plank door. There are 3 small
rectangular lights above. The 4 arched bell chamber openings
each have 2 arched trefoil lights with a single sexfoil over. To
the left of that on the east side and under that on the west side
are single clock faces. The buttressed north nave is set on a
chamfered plinth. Single restored C14 arched 2 light window with
reticulated tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. to
the left is an arched C13 doorway being moulded above the
nailhead decorated imposts and chamfered below. Hood mould and
human head label stops over. Further left are 2 restored C14
arched 2 light windows with reticulated tracery, hood moulds and
label stops,that on the right with human head label stops. The
north vestry has a chamfered arched blocked doorway. To the left
is a flight of steps leading down to a segmental arched doorway.
The east vestry has a single pair of restored trefoil arched
lights under a flat arch. The east chancel has a single restored
arched window with 3 trefoil arched lights, hood mould and worn
human head label stops. The south chancel has 2 restored trefoil
arched lights with hood moulds and label stops. The east wall of
the southaisle is buttressed, set on a plinth and has a single
restored C14 arched 2 light window with reticulated tracery, hood
mould and label stops. The south wall has 2 similar restored 2
light windows with hood moulds and label stops. Angle buttressed
south porch with C13 arched entrance being moulded above
thenailhead decorated imposts and chamfered below. Hood mould
and humna head label stops over. Inner cavetto moulded arched
doorway with imposts, hood mould and decorative label stops, door
to interior side being C17. To the left of the porch is a single
similar restored 2 light window with hood mould and label stops.
The shallow clerestory has 2 trefoil lights. Interior. 4 bay
C13 nave arcade with double chamfered arches and quatrefoil piers
with fillets, moulded capitals alternate with stiff leaf, the
latter facing nave and aisle. Circular responds with fillets and
moulded capitals. Tall double chamfered tower arch, restored
1853, with broach stops. Restored double chamfered chancel arch
with octagonal responds and moulded capitals. The base of the
altar table has C17 decoration. Circular ashlar font. In the
south chancel is a slate monument to Robertus Squire 1701. That
to Christopheri Raleigh Seton, 1748, has a cartouche surmounting
the inscription and there is a further memorial with shaped head
containing decorative shield. That to Elizabeth Hill, 1756, is
surmounted by a pediment. In the south aisle is a plaque to John
Odingsells 1655. The rectangular plaque is surmounted by a
decorative shield. Adjacent the east wall is a C14 reclining
effigy. There are some C13 floor slabs decorated with single
crosses and several C17 and C18 floor slabs. The single central
north nave and east windows are by E. R. Suffling, London 1908.
Listing NGR: SK6507448525
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.