If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Michael the Archangel and Attached Wall and Railings
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 242144
OS Grid Reference: SK6781354364
OS Grid Coordinates: 467813, 354364
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0822, -0.9891
Explore more of the area around Halam, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
SK 65 SE HALAM RADLEY ROAD
Church of St.
Michael the Arch-
11.8.61 angel and attached
wall and railings.
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C19, restored 1884-9.
Dressed coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roof to all but south
aisle and chapel which are lead. Coped gables the east nave and
east chancel with single decorative ridge crosses. Single
rendered red brick stack to east side of tower. Tower, nave,
north porch, south aisle, south chapel and chancel. C13 tower
set on a chamfered plinth of 2 stages, the lower stage slightly
projects. Pyramidal roof topped with single weathervane, single
gargoyles at each angle, also single C19 crocketed pinnacle.
West wall with chamfered pointed arched C13 doorway with imposts,
hood mould, human head label stops andC17 door. Above is a
single chamfered arched C16 window. Bell chamber openings to
north, south and east sides each with a single pair of C13
pointed arched lights, the west side now blocked and with single
clock face. The north nave is set on a shallow plinth. Single
C13 lancet. To the left is the gabled C19 porch on a chamfered
plinth with moulded arched entrance, hood mould and label stops.
Inner C13 pointed chamfered arched doorway with imposts and hood
mould. To the left is a single arched restored C14 2 ight window
with cusped tracery. Further left is a single arched restored
C14 3 light window with cusped tracery. The north chancel is set
on a shallow plinth and has a single rectangular recessed blind
panel. To the left are two 2 light C14 windows under flat arches
with cusped lights, tracery, hood moulds and human head label
stops. The angle buttressed east end is set on a shallow plinth.
Single C15 window with 2 arched and cusped lights, hood mould,
human head label stops and flat arch. Under the window are 2
early C19 slate headstones. Projecting from the buttresses is a
low ashlar wall surmounted by decorative iron railings with gate
to north side. These extend for 4 metres and form a rectangle.
The south chancel is set on a chamfered plinth and has a restored
C14 2 light window with cusped lights, tracery, hood mould, human
head label stops and flat arch. To the left is a C12 pointed
arched doorway decorated with chevron and zigzag. The south
aisle and C19 chapel are set on a shallow chamfered plinth, the
east wall of the chapel has a single 2 light C14 window with
cusped lights, tracery, hood mould, human head label stops and
flat arch. The south wall has a pointed chamfered arched
doorway. The south aisle has 3 C19 2 light windows with cusped
lights, tracery, hood moulds, label stops and flat arch. The
west wall has a single C19 arched 2 light window with cusped
tracery, hood mould and label stops. Projecting is a low brick
and slate lean-to. Interior. C13 3 bay nave arcade with
quatrefoil piers and responds, moulded capitals and double
chamfered arches. C13 triple chamfered tower arch with moulded
capitals, the inner capital on each side being decorated with a
single human head carving, with 3 attached octagonal columns
either side. C12 chancel arch with 2 columns either side
supporting 4 orders of roll moulding, the inner 3 supported on a
single capital. Scalloped capitals further decorated with bead,
zigzag and lozenge. Chamfered chancel/south chapel and
aisle/south chapel arches. In the chancel is a C14 piscina
supported on a human head corbel. Circular ashlar font supported
on 4 colonnettes, the bowl decorated with diaper around the top.
Decoratively carved C19 pulpit and lectern. There is a table in
the south aisle with C17 decoratively carved back. Altar table
part constructed with C17 base having decoratively carved legs.
3 C17 style carved chairs. In the north nave is a prayer board
and a further board with quotation from Exodus Chap.XX. In the
tower is a board detailing the benefactions to Halam parish. The
north west chancel window has 4 C14 stained glass panels
depiciting St. Christopher, St. Blaise, Eve naked and spinning
and Adam naked and delving. The west window of the south aisle
and the single windows either side of the porch are by Morris &
Co., 1919. There is a monument to Thomas Wright, 1845. The
inscription is set into a moulded arch flanked by single
pilasters each decorated with blind trefoil arched panels and
topped with decorative crocketed pinnacles. Over the inscription
arch is a crocketed ogee arch topped with single finial and under
the inscription a traceried blind panel with single central
Listing NGR: SK6781254365
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.